advertisement

Akai 4000ds Mk2

Umberto Vanni

Hi. I have an old Akai 4000ds Mk2 in excellent working order and sounding superb, although the case is a bit tatty. Does anyone know how much these things are worth?

Hi Umberto

I think the difference is the one on eBay is boxed and unused. I'm not sure I'd pay £500 for it but if I was after a pristine example, I'd have to think twice about it.

Mick

Hi Mick

Yeah saw that myself. Looks like they are still fetching around £100 for good examples though. Not bad for some retro 70's gear.
:)

Umberto

Originally posted by Mick Seymour
I think the difference is the one on eBay is boxed and unused.

As in SEALED? If not, I'd not believe a word of it... £500 is still steep!

You can get a full on ReVoX, and get it serviced for less than that. The Akais (in good nick) are good - but not THAT good :)

EDIT: Holy cow - just checked the Ebay ad - certainly LOOKS unused - wander what the story there was??

I know what partially worn heads look like on these units and the ones in the ad look pristine. I agree £500 is steep but the Akai, when properly serviced, does sound excellent though (apart from the noise). The one in the ad, even if it is sealed, will be around 30 years old, with all the problems of dry 'lytics and possibly hardened up grease. Good luck to the person who buys it.

Umberto

IMO it is probably worth about £100-£200 to a nostalgic 'collector' such as myself. Presently I am not seeking another r2r.

advertisement

Back