advertisement

Airport Express or Apple TV V FIIO3

Bourneendboy

pfm Member
I'm currently using FIIO3, but really would like to go wireless. I like the simplicity of either the AE or ATV and wonder how this may compare to the FIIO, anyone using either? Would be for streaming Spotify only.

Cheers,

Bill.

I find the quality of AE to be similar to FIIO but I do get the odd drop off which is a bit annoying. The ATV is good but I have a long optical cable which for some reason seems to degrade quality (it may be just poorly set up).

I find the quality of AE to be similar to FIIO but I do get the odd drop off which is a bit annoying. The ATV is good but I have a long optical cable which for some reason seems to degrade quality (it may be just poorly set up).

Would you say the SQ from the ATV is better than the AE?
As far as connecting up goes, am I correct in thinking I can plug either straight into my amp using an RCA lead with a 3.5mm adapter?

The apple tv will connect to the Fiio via optical, shop around and you will get the apple tv3 for as little as £60, I recently picked a couple up from clearence bargains in walsall, they had a couple of marks on them but nothing that i'm worried about.

The AE has a DAC, the ATV doesn't, so you'd still need to use the FiiO (D3?) to connect to your amp.

Unless, of course, you're using an amp with a built-in DAC.

The apple tv will connect to the Fiio via optical, shop around and you will get the apple tv3 for as little as £60, I recently picked a couple up from clearence bargains in walsall, they had a couple of marks on them but nothing that i'm worried about.

Does the Fiio improve on the ATV internal DAC?

The AE has a DAC, the ATV doesn't, so you'd still need to use the FiiO (D3?) to connect to your amp.

Unless, of course, you're using an amp with a built-in DAC.

You beat me to it!

So, is the ATV/Fiio better than the AE? Would be looking at the latest version of each.

The analogue out from the current AEX is surprisingly good.
It isn't top drawer technically (well obviously :) ) but more than good enough for stand-alone use. A D3 isn't gong to improve it - you need something like a MF VDAC or Dacmagic to make real gains, and even then the gains are in the signal and noise area sitting down around -90dB.

advertisement

Back