advertisement

Air guitar Pre

sandford

pfm Member
I'm Thinking about building the air guitar pre off the Acoustica site has anyone tried it if so how did you fing it, will it be better than my modded 32.5 or are their any other alternatives out thre anyone can recomend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Matt,

I'd be interested in sharing costs on pcbs. I'd have some ideas re changing the artwork for greater component flexibility.

David

bivalve said:
Matt,

I'd be interested in sharing costs on pcbs. I'd have some ideas re changing the artwork for greater component flexibility.

David

Me too,

Oz

bivalve said:
Matt,

David

Me too,

How about Peranders ordered a series of 10 from splendid quality pro board makers? How much it would cost. I am sure we can have a bunch of them sold. I could take 2 or 3.

Peranders!!! Hör du där i snickerboa?!!

Oz

lilolee said:
Have you just asked him if he wants a snickers bar? I'll get my coat......

Well, not exactly.

I guess Peranders knows what I meant. It is Swedish and taken from the well known Swedish children's saga Emil of the Maplehill by Astrid Lindgren. He lived in a country house and had a small workhouse where he did escape his angry father who every now and then realised Emil's latest experiments, like hoisting his little sister to the top of the flag pole or else exciting.
Snickerboa was the name of this workroom. Emil spent long times there locked from inside. His mom actually rushed him in there to save him from his father's anger. Emil used to make small wooden statues of people there by a knife. Obvious is that he had tens of those statues in his Snickerboa. Such a natural experimenter he was by his very nature. Boa means to live in a house and snicker is a carpenter. Snickerboa is thus a carpenter's house, IMO.

I thought of Peranders in his Swedish workroom spending most of his free time and that call just seemed to fit.

Oz

You guys must have chuckled when the Marathon bar was re-names Oz (although it's not exactly the continental idea of the Chocolatier's art) just as the French chuckled when receiving the Toyota MR2 etc. etc.

Paul

Oz, cheers for that, I hope Peranders uses more than a knife though.

Somewhere there is a web site that list a lot of the renamed stuff and even what they mean in different countries, just can't find it.

But where in damn is PerAnders?

Ahh. It's Friday night..

Oz

BTW, do you have parts of your countries where people talk much shorter than other parts?

We have an area in Finland where we say, high school is one year shorter as their talks are so short. (I have some Scottish in my mind... too)

Folks this enthusiasm is wonderful.

I'll need a couple of days to be specific on suggestions. Mainly interested in providing for alternative caps. Resistor spacing is 12mm I think. was this for RN60 types. Also want to trace a few current paths.

Also circuit is so similar to back of NA323 that maybe board could be adaptable for that as well.

Anyone know if PCB design is available in cad form. Is CED interested in participating. He is really its godfather and he said he was in Oz (I assume Australia, not some laudanum influenced fantasyland), and hence is almost a neighbour.

Anyone ever thought 'Teflon boards'. We are going for the ultimate after all.

Regards,
David

bivalve said:
Folks this enthusiasm is wonderful.

Anyone know if PCB design is available in cad form. Is CED interested in participating. He is really its godfather and he said he was in Oz (I assume Australia, not some laudanum influenced fantasyland), and hence is almost a neighbour.

Regards,
David

Not in me anyway, may I confirm!

Oz

Linnik said:
How about Peranders ordered a series of 10 from splendid quality pro board makers? How much it would cost. I am sure we can have a bunch of them sold. I could take 2 or 3.
Sorry folks, can't help you I'm afraid.

Hi PerAnders,

Nice to hear from you! What you mean?
You have the connection to the pro board maker.
How much it cost to make 10 boards?
Or what is the minimum reasonable quantity?

Would you like to involve and check the board design by your
software?

It is in CED's splendid report:

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/preamps.html

The board:

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/preamp_pics/motherboard/tracks.pdf

PerAnders, this may be one of those ultimate preamps with some attention
in the suspension and boxing & PSU end.

Oz

I'd be interested in having a go too. I have of a couple of board suppliers (one used by Linn) I've used before for professional builds that I could get prices from when I get back home.

More costly if they have to lay it out in CAD but they can do that too.

Only problem is that they'd have to be in Scottish blue 'cos that's my favourite solder mask colour!!.

With the use of through hole we could screen the tracks on both sides to prevent inteference or would that be overkill?

Also, would it be better if we could place the din plugs, potentiometer etc directly onto the board to avoid flying leads and extra solder joints.

J

PerAnders is obviously not willing to help. We gotta have them made somewhere else.

Jimmy's contact seems splendid.

My wish is to hang the board in the box and use sringed (curved) leads to it. Well, I can do it even the pots were planned to the board.

Oz

Folks,

I'm planning to suspend my PCB too, but I guess provision for volume pots is do-able if we get the circuit into a CAD package. Isolation from vibration is a persisent theme in Naim's and other manufacturer's modern designs. Elna also claim that their better quality audio caps are more vibration resistant, and I reckon that various components could have unrecognized low level vibrational sensitivity.

I currently have my NAC 32 sitting on a half full hot water bottle on top of my LP12 support table. It seemed that when I did this the bass in particular cleaned up noticably. I have a suspended wooden floor. I'd love to hear what effect others notice if they try this.

Note that modern Naim pres all have (motorized) pots off the main audio PCB.

David

If we can come up with a spec I can approach them. As always, the more we get, the cheaper & also depends on board material & copper weight used.
Reckon FR4 will be fine for this application.

Single sided the cheapest & if we do start to look at through-hole & screening then the price will rise but it would be a lot better than the commercial stuff from some companies.

J

I'd strongly suggest offloading things like the volume pot from the PCB. but connecting via flying leads. It just gives less problems with mounting/removing the PCB relative to the case, regardless of any vibration control benefits.

Ced (whose scheme the 'air guitar pre' is) seems to be taking a break from fora. I'll try to get him to respond to any queries you all have though.

advertisement

Back