advertisement

Ahmad Jamal - Marseille (jazz warning)

Vinny

pfm Member
I love this album, recorded mostly as a quartet. Totally sublime jazz piano, arrangements, just totally...….

Does anyone know his work well enough to save me endless searches to suggest close soundalikes(s) from his 70 years of recording? Or is it all of similar vein?
Or very similar stuff to try out from other artistes?

Ahmad Jamal's music is pretty special and his style is distinctive and consistent. You will find much to enjoy from his earlier works under the Argo label thru' the Impulse catalog and his more recent work from say the 1990s onwards. I would only caution against the stuff in the late 70s to 80s. It was a tough period for serious jazz musicians like Jamal, who had to try his hand at more pop/soul/funk/fusion material in order to make a living. Even then, Jamal's taste was such that there's good stuff there but you have to be far more selective I reckon.

+ 1 to Hockmans post.
Checking Roon I see 32 albums in my collection. The early Alhambra, Argo / Pershing, and Cross Country box sets of the 50’s and 60’s are absolute jewels and often very nicely recorded.
Of his later works the Paris Live ‘92 and ‘96 are fabulous and the former pretty rock and roll for piano jazz albums.
Any the “Essence” albums are worthwhile. If you like Marseille then get the recent Blue Moon and Saturday Morning albums which are similar and explore backwards from there.

Thanks all.
Given that there must be around 60 albums (I have not counted exactly), the problem seems to be one of being spoilt for choice.

Marseille is just incredible but I have listened around a bit on YouTube and most of his music appeals.

You may have already seen this , but just in case you havent, let me link you to this live performance.

One of my favourite you tube videos.

So much groove, so many smiles, so much fun. I love it!

advertisement

Back