advertisement

Aftermarket Power Cord Recommendation for Naim\Pardo

You’re constantly replacing the ‘measurements’ meaning with ‘recording’. But it’s easy to do - take a video of your system with a set of good cables and without using something like zoom camera and all will be obvious..
No I'm not. I know what measurements are, I know what recordings are.

And btw, assumption that only ‘active’ components can sound differently is a total nonsense. Best example is probably tantalum resistors.
A resistor is an active component, if it is in a circuit. It has a resistance! If a tant resistor in a circuit makes a difference, you'll be able to measure a difference in response. Because that's what engineers do.

All the cables are also in the circuit (and obviously also have resistance :) )
I know. So demonstrate that that resistance is significant. Or some other parameter. You have shown it for the power conditioner. The science exists, clearly. So if there's a difference, show it for a mains cable, just as they have for a mains conditioner.

I know. So demonstrate that that resistance is significant. Or some other parameter.

No, you haven’t got the point - tantalum vs iron sound different with exactly the same resistance. Because materials by themself sound differently. It’s the same with the cables.

If you find, or indeed "know" that changing mains cables is pointless, good for you - you can save your money for other ways to enhance your system, but as to why you feel compelled by some missionary zeal to "educate" everyone else is what I find baffling - why not just let people get on with it FFS, it's not your money they're spending.

It's a bit more of a grey area than than I'm afraid - because these threads are also about members making recommendations to others, speaking to the apparent benefits they think they have heard, and also potentially misapprehending and thereby misrepresenting some of the principles involved.

From Shunyata Research's website regarding noise reduction via mains cables: CCI™ filters have the unique ability to reduce component-generated power line noise without inhibiting DTCD® (dynamic transient current delivery). This unique filter element prevents power line noise from one component contaminating the other adjacent electronic components. Shunyata Research’s ‌‌CCI™ filter modules consist of proprietary multi-stage filters that reduce power supply-generated noise without the use of heavy transformers, coils or large capacitors.

Wireworld: The goal of providing clean power to a full system of components can best be achieved with properly shielded power cords that also function as effective noise filters. That is the concept of Wireworld Power Conditioning Cords. Unlike other cords, their advanced designs were developed through direct comparisons to battery power, the ultimate in sonic and visual purity.
As I believe that you have radial circuitry over there, I wonder if your wall socket plugs (as mentioned above) have fuses in and whether all power circuits/plugs are earthed. I would doubt the fuse bit but am interested nonetheless, as it may differ from the E.U.

I've never really been interested in mains cables; I simply bought expensive Russ Andrews' 8 core ones yonks ago (but prob. wouldn't now) in various lengths to suit each piece of kit/distance from mains. I do believe mains leads can make a difference to sensitive kit by dint of core capacity, construction, screening and IEC plug quality, though I've never experimented. (too much faff). Cleanliness of contacts and lack of oxidisation are, i.m.o., worthwhile considerations to reduce impedance.
We don't have fuses in our recepticals in the US. However I have upgraded the fuses in all of my components, exclusively with Synergistic Research Purple fuses.

This will be a protracted approach to evaluate the mains cables. First I need to burn in the Teddy XPS and upgraded Synergistic Research Purple fuse. Then I'll begin the task of auditioning power cords, some of which are sourced through TheCableCompany's Lending Library so burn in will go quicker than with new cables.

I hope twochannelguy is suitably entertained by this thread :)
I don't think he'll have any resistance to the suggestions.
We don't have fuses in our recepticals in the US. However I have upgraded the fuses in all of my components, exclusively with Synergistic Research Purple fuses.
Interesting, because a local dealer friend was trying out 13amp ring main plug fuses from them and I didn't know they sold case fuses as well, which I guess is what you've done). If they do improve things, and my friend was vaguely positive, the case fuse is where I'd expect benefits in radial circuits. I'd be interested in your findings and the kit to which they apply. Recepticals? You Americans take vocabulary to a different level ! :D

I don't think he'll have any resistance to the suggestions.

Interesting, because a local dealer friend was trying out 13amp ring main plug fuses from them and I didn't know they sold case fuses as well, which I guess is what you've done). If they do improve things, and my friend was vaguely positive, the case fuse is where I'd expect benefits in radial circuits. I'd be interested in your findings and the kit to which they apply. Recepticals? You Americans take vocabulary to a different level ! :D
Definitions of electric receptacle. receptacle providing a place in a wiring system where current can be taken to run electrical devices. synonyms: electric outlet, electrical outlet, outlet, wall plug, wall socket.

I find this Q & A with Galen Carol interesting when discussing mains cables.

Isn't the most important mains power misconception of all missed out of that list? That's the misconception that the audio circuits in a mains-powered audio box are powered directly by the mains all the time.

They aren't.

In a normal power supply using a diode bridge, the mains only connects to the reservoir capacitors and circuits a maximum of about 5% of the time. The rest of the time, 95% plus, the circuits are disconnected from the mains and powered solely by the reservoir capacitors. It's only during that 5% of the time that charge used by the circuits is replenished from the mains.

It's the reservoir capacitors, their ESR, ESL and maybe some filtering and regulation that follows them that you have to design to give the low noise voltage supply and the static and transient current capabilities needed by the audio circuits during that 95% of the time. If you don't do that you are really up the creek.

advertisement

Back