advertisement

Aftermarket Power Cord Recommendation for Naim\Pardo

It’s not faith…. Listening to music is an emotional and psycho-acoustic phenomenon. It’s not merely a physical one.
yes using ‘listening’ is an imprecise measurement and prone to bias, but it’s all we have.
The alternative is to ignore what you hear and say ‘it can’t happen’ - surely defeating the object of having a home system in the first place.We all hear differently and respond to different aspects of the music. Threads like this encourage people to experiment in finding a sound they may prefer. No point in shutting the argument down.
Well said.

That shows that you don’t understand my point. Medical instruments don’t show it because… they apparently do not sound, a bit unexpected, no? :)
Plenty of medical instruments DO sound. Let's start with, say, an ultra SOUND machine, shall we? How do they get on?
This is the same logic as for the speaker manufacturers. Some of them (quite a few in fact) say that paper driver cones sound better than carbon, polypropylene or whatever. Why do you not asking them an evidence and measurements?
They have done them.
After all, frequency response of the drivers can be the same.. It’s similar for the cables - to some ears silver sounds better than copper. Or absence of the screen can sound better with Naim for example..
Can it now. So show the difference.
Sure, all the sound reproduction is ‘imaginary’ in a way with the help of the brain. So what is the problem? Ok, brains are indistinguishable from the human beings… So you propose to listen to the worse hi-fi because of that?
Not at all. I propose to listen to the best hifi I can. However I don't count imaginary differences. Maybe I should. Imagining things would be great. I imagine that my car is more comfortable than any other car, in the world, ever. Nice. Job done then.

So is your argument scientific, in which case show the science, or faith based, in which case you are with me and my car being the best in the world, ever. Because I've been in it and I think that it is.

To question if the cable material can impact the sound is the same as to question if the driver cone material can do so.
Of course it isn't!

The speaker drive unit is directly responsible for sending the sound waves through the air to your lug'oles so changes to this will have the biggest impact on anything you hear.

In contrast, a mains cable is responsible for bringing an AC power source into the equipment, which then passes through a fuse, a transformer, a bridge rectifier, some capacitors, a regulator or two, some more capacitors and probably some filtering components, before it even gets within sniffing distance of the music signal.

You seem to continue joking… Measurements of what?
Measuring sound, with calibrated mics. You know there's a measurable difference between a PP and a paper driver, and it's measured and recorded. No jokes, just normal science and engineering.

is responsible for bringing an AC power source into the equipment, which then passes through a fuse, a transformer, a bridge rectifier, some capacitors, a regulator or two, some more capacitors and probably some filtering components, before it even gets within sniffing distance of the music signal.

Just to remind that there’s no any music signal at all without ac power (and associated noise) so what is more important for the sq in the end is a question mark..

Measuring sound, with calibrated mics.

What does that suppose to mean… Or you‘re telling about just recording the sound of the system? You can do it with iphone these days, look at youtube, millions of systems and all sound different

The speaker drive unit is directly responsible for sending the sound waves through the air to your lug'oles so changes to this will have the biggest impact on anything you hear.
I'm not an expert, but it would seem to me that a speaker drive unit is a transducer not a conductor, and that that was probably the most significant distinction between it and a cable. Oh well, that the fact that the power cable doesn't carry a signal at all.

So to recap don't get into an argument with an idiot.

What does that suppose to mean… Or you‘re telling about just recording the sound of the system? You can do it with iphone these days, look at youtube, millions of systems and all sound different
It's in plain enough English, it means that if there are differences between cone materials, and there are, then this can be measured. As you know. With an iPhone if you want, or if you want to do it properly, with a calibrated mic. This is in response to your question about how we can be sure that different cone materials sound different. We can, because the speaker manufacturers have measured it.

It's in plain enough English, it means that if there are differences between cone materials, and there are, then this can be measured. As you know. With an iPhone if you want, or if you want to do it properly, with a calibrated mic. This is in response to your question about how we can be sure that different cone materials sound different. We can, because the speaker manufacturers have measured it.

What you are telling is that any product development cycle involves a lot of measurements… Man, that’s obvious.. And no different for mains manufacturers, Titan audio for example develops cables with University of Belfast:

And lots of relevant measurements done as for all the equipment. But it’s human ears (and brains) to ultimately decide in the end whether you recorded your sound with the most precise microphones or not..

What you are telling is that any product development cycle involves a lot of measurements… Man, that’s obvious.. And no different for mains manufacturers, Titan audio for example develops cables with University of Belfast:

And lots of relevant measurements done as for all the equipment. But it’s human ears (and brains) to ultimately decide in the end whether you recorded your sound with the most precise microphones or not..
That's a mains conditioner, not a cable. It's got active components in it, and it's measured accordingly. Now then, about, say, a Naim Powerline. Measurements?

Measurements?

You’re constantly replacing the ‘measurements’ meaning with ‘recording’. But it’s easy to do - take a video of your system with a set of good cables and without using something like zoom camera and all will be obvious..

And btw, assumption that only ‘active’ components can sound differently is a total nonsense. Best example is probably tantalum resistors.

You’re constantly replacing the ‘measurements’ meaning with ‘recording’. But it’s easy to do - take a video of your system with a set of good cables and without using something like zoom camera and all will be obvious..
🤣
No, it really won't!

advertisement

Back