advertisement

Advice wanted: Underwhelming Audio File Playback via Young DAC

Gotek

pfm Member
Not sure if this is too big a question to answer succinctly but here goes:

I have a Zotac PC running Foobar into a M2Tech Young DAC via USB and on into my amp.

CD transport sounds absolutely fine via the Young but audio computer files are completely underwhelming and always have been. I have purchased many files from HDTracks at various resolutions and none come close to CD or Vinyl. I have tried different players such as VLC and Media Player with no difference.

Not sure where I am going wrong. Can only assume it is the set-up on the PC that is the problem.

Anyone with a Young who can share set-up details or offer pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gotek

I use a PC for most things, but in the main HiFi I have a MAC > Young. However, I do use Foobar in the office. Do you uses the WASAPI component? It's well worth using IMO. What about software volume control in Foobar? It should be set to maximum. Also, do you have the Young drivers installed on your PC? - I believe it will work without them, up to 24/96, but the drivers ought to be used. Are all the DSP, effects, EQ, replaygain etc disabled?

Maybe look at how your rips were done, are they compressed at all, they should be bit perfect rips to WAV or FLAC for a PC.

I'm sorry if you know all of this, you may well be more computer savvy than I am, but these are some ideas from the top of my head. IME, computer playback has significantly surpassed CD playback, so your problem is a strange one.

First thing - download Foobar's WASAPI component and learn how to set it up.

Otherwise, all your audio will be routed through Windows' internal mixer which has the potential to mangle it up a treat.

N.B. WASAPI is only available on Windows Vista and up. If you are using XP, the option of choice is called kernel streaming - for which a similar component is available. WASAPI is not generally available for VLC or Windows Media Player; WASAPI (or something similar) is essential for decent Windows audio playback.

In playback devices (right click on the sound icon), right click into Properties on the Young Device make sure

1) Enhancements are disabled
2) In Advanced the default format matches the format of the source material - so for CD, it should be set to 24 bit, 44.1khz and for DVD, 24 bit 48khz and so on otherwise the OS down / upsamples the signal...

To get the best quality sound you can either go with ASIO, WASAPI, or Kernel Streaming. I prefer the latter...

What Zotac PC is it? I have a Zotac Z-Box and, even playing music files via a HiFace Evo USB converter, the sound is deeply unimpressive (running Win7 and J River Media Center). A modest investment in a new DIY mini-PC using a more powerful Atom motherboard and the same software has brought smiles to my face; in fact it's sounding pretty marvellous. I think the really small Zotac PCs are just too weedy, even for relatively lightweight audio duties, or maybe they are electrically too noisy for the job.

So, assuming that you have already followed the advice given above, maybe it's the PC.

Another vote for HTPC / Win7 /FLAC / Jrivermedia / WASAPI / Young dac USB driver / Young Dac Async USB
Sound excellent on my system
Alan

In playback devices (right click on the sound icon), right click into Properties on the Young Device make sure

1) Enhancements are disabled
2) In Advanced the default format matches the format of the source material - so for CD, it should be set to 24 bit, 44.1khz and for DVD, 24 bit 48khz and so on otherwise the OS down / upsamples the signal...

To get the best quality sound you can either go with ASIO, WASAPI, or Kernel Streaming. I prefer the latter...

CD is 16 bit, DVD can be 24/96kHz

We need to know what version of Windoze the OP is using.

Win7 Home though I do have access to a MacBook i5 Pro.

The Zotac is a ZBOXHD, a miniature thing about the size of a CD case.

Post No.4 not sure where to find these options. Windows Control Panel?

I did try Kernel and WASAPI within Foobar and Kernel in Winamp and could not tell and difference at all. Maybe it is the computer?

Some very useful help, thank you so far.

Use the Macbook.
Try usb out from it then try optical digital out(from the headphone socket) and see how they sound, select the correct output device in Audio Midi
Rip a couple of your favourite cd's to AIFF using iTunes with error correction checked and make sure all sound enhancements are turned off.

CD is 16 bit, DVD can be 24/96kHz

Sure... but using 24 vs 16 bit for audio CD doesn't affect the quality - the PC just adds zeros to the end of the bit stream. The key is matching the frequency at 44.1khz so as to avoid up and down sampling by the OS.

24 bit is actually preferred if you use the digital volume control on the PC since it reduces attenuation errors.

Win7 Home though I do have access to a MacBook i5 Pro.

The Zotac is a ZBOXHD, a miniature thing about the size of a CD case.

Post No.4 not sure where to find these options. Windows Control Panel?

I did try Kernel and WASAPI within Foobar and Kernel in Winamp and could not tell and difference at all. Maybe it is the computer?

Some very useful help, thank you so far.

You can access the settings from the control panel

1) Control Panel
2) Hardware & sound
3) Sound
4) Right click on the Young device and select properties (make sure it's powered on and connected to the PC first or it won't appear)
5) Go to the advanced tab check the default format.

Thanks to everyones input it is now time for an update.

I disconnected the Zoteac and put my iMac in its place with Amarra.

Amazing difference! Still not as 'full' sounding as CD but a definite step up from the Zotac. Just need to play around with the settings and maybe try a trial of Audirvana and Decibel whilst I am at it.

It is clear the cheaper Zotac was holding things back for whatever reason but I am now on my way to something I could live with.

Are you still using USB?, this is the best input to the Young dac as it is assyc just make sure you download the correct driver for the mac from M2tech.

Alan

I have tried Amarra and cannot see what the fuss is about, Decibel is pretty poor, also had A+ trial which is much better if your dac can utilise its direct/integer mode and would be my choice if I didn't already have Pure Music.

Strange how different folks have different results - I've got A+, Pure Music and Amarra Symphony and the best sounding to me by far is Amarra.

I only tried Amarra HiFi, I don't know what Symphony does better but it would have to be a hell of a lot for the $495 asking price.

advertisement

Back