advertisement

Advice sought, Thanks. Heaphone set for MAC Mini.

George J

Herefordshire member
Heaphone set for MAC Mini. [Late 2012 variant, if that makes any difference].

Nothing fancy; the less expensive the better provided that the quality is durable, and sonics neutral - not forced or bass-heavy. Ear buds are no good for me, so over the ear phones are crucial, either closed or open does not matter ...

Thanks in advance. My current ten year old headphones are by Sony [closed back] and cost £10 from HMV. Good enough sonically but now - after a huge amount of use - the cushions are turning to dust. I have owned Sennheiser HD 600s [used with a Little Dot Three valve headphone amp], and whilst finer, they brought no more pleasure than the simple Sony phones.

Best wishes from George

George,
I have no idea really, but consider two things:

a) Why not a phone like Bluetooth wireless job?
b) Some sort of mini DAC (Dragonfly?) into phones?

How about some Sennheiser 201s George. Good budget phones.

I thought Senns had gone all high-end! I had some of those yellow ear-pad Senns back in the day [early '90s], and they were a delight, and lasted for fifteen years with new yellow pads. Cheap, tough, good sound.

To be honest [bearing in mind that inflation would roughly make £10 ten years ago worth almost £20 today] those Senn 201s would be a good punt as an online purchase. I have enough faith in the brand to believe that they will suffice.

I like plugging in a wire connection and simplicity.

I might also note that that advantage of a separate DAC over the analogue out of a MAC is not in my book justified. Really the only times I have noted a worthwhile improvement over over cheap as chips things compared to expensive is in LP replay, speakers, and VHF/FM Radio. Decent power amps of course, as well.

I count radio as my most cherished music source, Radio Three on VHF/FM, through my ESL. As for recordings, cheap but good headphones from the MAC analogue out do fair justice given that for me they are good enough.

Thanks for the budget Sennheiser suggestion. I am so out of modern replay that I asked the question, and so much thanks for the suggestion. I am sure it will be fine.

I'll post back with my impressions when I have the Senn 201s on my head before too long.

Best wishes and thanks, from George

I thought Senns had gone all high-end! I had some of those yellow ear-pad Senns back in the day [early '90s], and they were a delight, and lasted for fifteen years with new yellow pads. Cheap, tough, good sound.

To be honest [bearing in mind that inflation would roughly make £10 ten years ago worth almost £20 today] those Senn 201s would be a good punt as an online purchase. I have enough faith in the brand to believe that they will suffice.

I like plugging in a wire connection and simplicity.

I might also note that that advantage of a separate DAC over the analogue out of a MAC is not in my book justified. Really the only times I have noted a worthwhile improvement over over cheap as chips things compared to expensive is in LP replay, speakers, and VHF/FM Radio. Decent power amps of course, as well.

I count radio as my most cherished music source, Radio Three on VHF/FM, through my ESL. As for recordings, cheap [but good headphone from the MAC analogue out] does fair justice given that for me they are good enough.

Thanks for the budget Sennheiser suggestion. I am so out of modern replay that I asked the question, and so much thanks for the suggestion. I am sure it will be fine.

I'll post back with my impressions when I have the Senn 201s on my head before too long.

Best wishes and thanks, from George
I had some for a while. They were impressive for their price. I think they would suffice.

advertisement

Back