advertisement

Advice on waterproof socks

ex brickie

pfm Member
I’d like to get some waterproof socks. They’d be used for hiking (forest/muddy type walks that might involve deep puddles) and beach walking. Both would involve using strong walking shoes so I don’t want the ultra thin cycling type of socks

Sealskinz seems to be a popular brand but expensive. I’ve spotted Hemy and Dexshell but know nothing about them

Are there any differences in the technology each uses (and any other brands you’ve used) and which brand offers good value for money (inc durability) for my needs? If there is a definitive performance and comfort improvement in a more expensive brand it would be good to know

Thanks

I’m no expert, but I would think that any waterproof sock would just trap moisture from your feet and be very uncomfortable as a result.
surely the way to go would be decent wool (merino?) socks for wicking moisture and decent water resistant boots - I really like my Altberg “defender” boots for dog walking (I have stood in streams with these on and kept dry).

I use sealskinz socks for mountain biking. I never wear them for hiking though. Aren’t your boots or shoes waterproof?

I'm an expert and suggest you don't bother. Get some pattens or wellys or go out in the dry. Alternatively stay in and wait for the weather to break.

I’m in west Wales. Dry days come at a premium. And I’m near the beach so the sand and stones are often wet even on a dry day

My walking shoes are reasonably water tight but where I live it is quite common to step into mud that is deeper than you expect and the water seeps in around the laces. Waterproof socks looked pretty sensible to me - they go higher up your leg and no need for wicking moisture - your feet stay dry. Much cheaper than new boots too
Also waterproof socks are supposed to be breathable - like waterproof jackets

Anyone else here actually use or tried waterproof socks?

I bought my wife a pair of the Sealskinz ones for Christmas. Will report back when she has actually worn them.

Personally, other than for very light use, I have never understood walking/hiking shoes, but hey ho.

Well-made/designed walking boots will keep water out until the water is deeper than the height of the boot by virtue of how the tongue is fitted. So, 4 inches or so of water?

Waterproof walking boots with what are called waterproof breathable layers/liners (usually Goretex), are reckoned to be all but worthless, the liners that is, as they basically fall apart because of the punishment they get. What might work in a jacket is never going to survive in a shoe/boot.

I just carry a spare pair of socks, always.

I will always prefer leather uppers and they are never going near salt water - that is welly territory.

Watch both video reviews - one person uses them routinely, the other only when needed.

I’d like to get some waterproof socks. They’d be used for hiking (forest/muddy type walks that might involve deep puddles) and beach walking. Both would involve using strong walking shoes so I don’t want the ultra thin cycling type of socks

Sealskinz seems to be a popular brand but expensive. I’ve spotted Hemy and Dexshell but know nothing about them

Are there any differences in the technology each uses (and any other brands you’ve used) and which brand offers good value for money (inc durability) for my needs? If there is a definitive performance and comfort improvement in a more expensive brand it would be good to know

Thanks
I bought 2 pairs of Sealskinz about 8 years ago and they continue to be waterproof and very comfortable. I use them with trainers for dog walking in wet weather. Trainers get wet; feet stay dry and toastie. I have not tried others.

Videos very helpful - thanks. But they are for Sealskinz. I’m also interested in whether any of the lesser known cheaper brands are as effective and comfortable

I’m also interested in whether any of the lesser known cheaper brands are as effective and comfortable

I would trawl YouTube using the brand names.

I strongly suspect that the problem with any sock, no matter how good when new, will be as per breathable liners in boots - they don't last very long, so it very much depends on how much use they'll get/you expect..

I've walked 100's of miles around the Lake District and Austrian Alps, always worn Meindl hiking boots and Bridgedale socks. Been completely waterproof and more importantly, I've never had a blister. You can't put a price on quality when it comes to good footwear for walking or hiking IMO and for me this is just a winning combination. They're incredibly comfortable too

https://www.bridgedale.com/collections/mens-socks

https://www.meindl.co.uk/products/mens/boots/

I’d like to get some waterproof socks. They’d be used for hiking (forest/muddy type walks that might involve deep puddles) and beach walking. Both would involve using strong walking shoes so I don’t want the ultra thin cycling type of socks...

I've had a couple of pairs of Porelle Drys for years which are still good. I've used them mostly for cycling, but also occasional hikes. They continue to keep my feet dry. They are rather inflexible, so it is important to get the correct size. Actually, they're so old I don't even know if they are still available.

Sealskinz would be ideal, I would have thought. Sealskinz gloves keep my hands dry on the bike, so I can't imagine the socks are any less effective.

get some decent walking boots then think about the socks.

Sealskinz are OK, but my feet got quite hot and sweaty. Which lead to foot rot.

Last edited:
I guess you won't know until you try a pair. I bought a pair of Sealskinz a while ago but found them very uncomfortable. You can't beat a pair of leather boots & good-quality hiking socks - Bridgedale, etc. (My faves are currently "Darn Tough Vermont Merino Boot Socks. Expensive but worth it to me).

I guess you won't know until you try a pair. I bought a pair of Sealskinz a while ago but found them very uncomfortable. You can't beat a pair of leather boots & good-quality hiking socks - Bridgedale, etc. (My faves are currently "Darn Tough Vermont Merino Boot Socks. Expensive but worth it to me).

I agree - I have both leather boots and meindl mixed materials gortex lined boots. The latter are way more comfortable.

I've walked 100's of miles around the Lake District and Austrian Alps, always worn Meindl hiking boots and Bridgedale socks. Been completely waterproof and more importantly, I've never had a blister. You can't put a price on quality when it comes to good footwear for walking or hiking IMO and for me this is just a winning combination. They're incredibly comfortable too

https://www.bridgedale.com/collections/mens-socks

https://www.meindl.co.uk/products/mens/boots/
I’ve been after a new pair of walking boots for ages, but can’t fathom which brand are currently well thought of. Any particular Meindl boots you recommend - they seem to do lots, both leather and synthetic.

I’ve been after a new pair of walking boots for ages, but can’t fathom which brand are currently well thought of. Any particular Meindl boots you recommend - they seem to do lots, both leather and synthetic.

these are the ones I have

I recommend you go to a proper shop and get fitted, preferably by a place that can do gait analysis. When i bought mine, I tried about 3 different Meindl boots and about 6 pairs from other brands.

I didn't set out to buy Meindl, I bought what appeared to be best for my feet. Session in the shop lasted about 2 hours. In fact, I needed a half size which the shop in Brighton didn't have, so I bought online from the same chain.

this isn't about brands, it is about what works for you

oh we went to the Cotswold Outdoor branch in Brighton, I made an appointment - had a footscan and gait analysis.

advertisement

Back