advertisement

Advice on travel from England to Scotland.

I've been travelling regularly to help care for my elderly mother for the entirety of the pandemic. It's an allowable exception and there's no need to waste the police's time asking for information that's easily found. I haven't been stopped, by the way. There's quite a lot of traffic on the road now.
It’s not easily found.
The govt site is very confusing unless you are a supercilious knobhead.
Are you, you sound like one?

You’re unlikely to be stopped. I’ve been travelling between Scotland and England on a weekly basis since this all started (essential worker) and have yet to be stopped.

I need some advice on a dilemma.

I found out today that an 80 year old relative who lives in Scotland on her own has to have her bladder removed because of cancer.
She has no other living relatives.
I live in England.
My wife and I would like to go to Scotland to stay with her after her two week hospital stay to help her settle back in and set up the care packages, cleaning help, etc.. that we know she won’t set up for herself, believing she can manage.

I believe we can do this as she can be in a support bubble with us but I need to find out definitively if we can. I don’t want a big fine and turning back at Gretna!

I have ploughed through the Scottish govt covid advice and am still unsure.

Anyone here know themselves for certain or where I can get a definitive answer from?

I sympathise with your situation - my own mother (93) is 350 miles away, and just about to leave hospital after a broken leg to recuperate at home. I too have tried to find out whether the rules would allow me to travel that distance for 'care' purposes.
As you say it seems to be impossible to find a definitive set of rules. gov.uk is the most comprehensive but even they don't cover the odd situations like ourselves.

Yes it does.

UK Gov. Within the common travel area (ie UK) you should not travel travel except for essential travel. That includes,
  • fulfilling essential caring responsibilities
Scot.Gov You should not travel between England and Scotland unless you have a reasonable excuse. The exceptions include
  • travel to provide care, assistance, support to or respite for a vulnerable person

I was listening to an "Off the ball" podcast last week when prof Jason Leitch gave the advice "just go" to a person who had asked a similar question about travel from the Isle of Man to a terminally ill releative in Scotland, he quoted the advice given by @Euan

@Bob McC

We suggest contacting the G.P. of your relative.

Ask them to provide some information as to the needs of your relative.

Print this off and take it with you. We would regard it as ‘Essential Care’ visit.

If there is a MacMillan nurse involved, obtain information from them as well.

(my The Wife has similar documents for visiting her Dad who is ill. 200 mile journey, The Wife has various printed information from the G.P. and dementia society.)

Good luck.

No, you might be stopped. I was, going from Dumfries to Edinburgh on the motorway (to buy a new car, click 'n collect) but was passed through. I'd cross the border on a less popular road and then add 20 mins journey time by staying countryside. In the end Bob WTF. Just go, and risk it. This is more important I'd guess.

Go for it. I've been travelling from London to Merseyside to support my Mum who is recently on her own and vulnerable. That's in the rules of course. There are no controls on the roads.
Whatever the cross border rules it would be a cold hearted cop who tried to turn you back and a brave one if they were prepared to be ridiculed in the press for doing so.
As I said earlier. Go for it.
Belt and braces, go for a Covid test if you can, even if it's just a lateral flow.

I need some advice on a dilemma.

I found out today that an 80 year old relative who lives in Scotland on her own has to have her bladder removed because of cancer.
She has no other living relatives.
I live in England.
My wife and I would like to go to Scotland to stay with her after her two week hospital stay to help her settle back in and set up the care packages, cleaning help, etc.. that we know she won’t set up for herself, believing she can manage.

I believe we can do this as she can be in a support bubble with us but I need to find out definitively if we can. I don’t want a big fine and turning back at Gretna!

I have ploughed through the Scottish govt covid advice and am still unsure.

Anyone here know themselves for certain or where I can get a definitive answer from?

I'd be on my way. Unless you get stopped for speeding or decide to have a party with loud music not a soul is going to know you are out with your local area.

advertisement

Back