advertisement

Advice on possible change of direction...

If you able to acoustically treat your room then definitely start there. You will be amazed at the difference a properly treated room makes.

Rega Ela speakers have often been described as quick and articulate, yet...lean. So you are hearing them as others have.

One option that won't cost as much is adding a entry-level subwoofer. But that brings with it the challenge of integration, and two are better than one...

If it were my money, I'd invest in better speakers. IME, Harbeth C7s have a more balanced presentation, work well in smaller rooms, and have a midrange that's just about perfect. There's almost always a used, or even better, dealer ex-dem pair for sale...and available for home demo.

And oh yeah, there is absolutely nothing "lean" in your electronics.

Good luck!

Hook

If you want to get off the Naim escalator you could try something like the Teddy Pardo pre + MB100 monoblocks, cheaper than upgrading to the NAP300 and rated as good as by others who have done so. But agree the speakers are probably where best to start in your case.

If you want to maximise value for money: try small active speakers; choose one pair; work the rest out from there.

This, and mescalito's advice are sound.

You will go slightly mad if you don't work back from the room: first find the right speaker for the room: the one that provides the most transparent window on the recording. That may well be an active design - certainly you owe it to yourself to try one - if only to see why they are used in 90% of studios.

It's sensible to spend at least half your budget right there. Drop me a line if you want to borrow something on a free home loan.

If you do choose passive speakers, let them guide your choice of amplification: 'no more powerful than needed' is a good maxim. You will be able to go shopping for higher quality, low-power amplification if you choose an efficient speaker.

Your choice of amplifier will then dictate the choice of source: to pre or not to pre? Balanced or single-ended? The DAC in turn will then dictate the best source: USB or SPDIF?

Right, I've been reflecting on the costs involved in getting my system sounding 'right'. I currently have a CDS3, XPS2, 252, Supercap, Olive 250 feeding some old Rega Elas. To be honest I hardly listen to it as it seems a very lean and not too involving on much material. I've heard a NAP 300 and think it would add much as would some alternative speakers (I quite like the Kudos S10 and S20). Problem is that would involve spending a lot of money which I feel may be better spent elsewhere...

My quandry is what level of system would provide me with musical insight and enjoyment whilst not spending any more money? IE possibly selling what I have and trying some alternatives. I would like a cd player, amp, tuner and speakers. Don't get me wrong I like Naim stuff but feel there must be a cheaper way to enjoy music! To be honest I really enjoyed (and miss) my CDI (good as the CDS3 is) and wonder if there is anything out there cd player wise that would fit the bill?

I have a small room (10ft by 14ft) so smallish speakers!

I realise it's down to personal taste and have to go and listen but would appreciate some input!

Many thanks

Hi Fisbey,

Personally, I don't see any reason to change your Naim CDS3 and 252 as both are superb. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of the classic NAP250, but it certainly works ok with speakers from ATC, Neat Acoustics and ProAc. We're a bit buried tomorrow, but you're welcome to call us to discuss on Sunday/Monday or equally visit us in Tunbridge Wells, Kent if you have the time.

Kind regards,
Peter

If you want to get off the Naim escalator you could try something like the Teddy Pardo pre + MB100 monoblocks, cheaper than upgrading to the NAP300 and rated as good as by others who have done so. But agree the speakers are probably where best to start in your case.

'Getting off the Naim Escalator’ . . . that should be a T-Shirt!

It seems that most of agree, though, that money spent on the speakers is no bad thing.

However, it's vital to audition them in your room: you really won't learn much of importance anywhere else.

advertisement

Back