advertisement

Advice on my digital source please

mr_phil

If it isn't broken, try harder
I have been using an HP netbook very successfully as my music source for 18 months but the keyboard has died (delete is permanently 'pressed'). I can get an HP spare for £80! or a close match aftermarket keyboard for £25 - it is a close match in that I can't get the same part number (silver - 622344-031) but something in black that has the correct keys and cable except for 1 key or all keys the same but no photo of the rear and the cables vary a lot.

Should I pay HP's rip-off prices, take a risk on a keyboard, just get a new netbook or something else?

I know ebay sellers should accept returns but there is always a risk and there is the cost / hassle of returning it as well. Music is safely backed-up, all FLACs, so no issues there, netbook runs into MDAC on USB.

Thanks, Phil :confused:

Try prising the delete key off with a small screwdriver. Its almost certainly a mechanical problem, possibly just muck under the key. Try poking about for a bit and see if you can unstick it.

Thanks DV, the first one has slightly different keys / layout and the second is for the US market (001 not 031) - I don't know what the difference is and whether a 'country' tweek would correct it and overseas returns...... Thanks for taking the time to look, it is amazing how many different ones there are

The differences are small things like £ and # both pronounced 'pound' are changed around and so are other symbols. You could just remember what they are or select US keyboard in the OS or if this keyboard is like a laptop keyboard then you can carefully prise off the offending key tops from your old keyboard and replace on the new.

You need to place a screwdriver blade or similar under the edge of the key top and apply gentle leverage. The key top should just pop off and can be pressed into place. The edge mind you and NOT underneath.

Cheers,

DV

I had a missing blue 'Fn' key on my Thinkpad T-42 amazed that such things could be bought off e-bay for old laptops.

The actual mechanism under the keys is basically all the same so you shoulkd be able to fix your damaged key, even if it taes a few attempts.... as long as you have a spare keyboard to play with.

I now have a new Thinkpad ( X121e ) but feel that my tatty old T-42 is going to be around for a good while longer yet...

I had a missing blue 'Fn' key on my Thinkpad T-42 amazed that such things could be bought off e-bay for old laptops.

The actual mechanism under the keys is basically all the same so you shoulkd be able to fix your damaged key, even if it taes a few attempts.... as long as you have a spare keyboard to play with.

I now have a new Thinkpad ( X121e ) but feel that my tatty old T-42 is going to be around for a good while longer yet...

Doh! I know the feeling as I now have 5 x T.2x, 2 x T.42, T.60 but not to mention 2 x Mac Mini, 2 x Dell XPS and and and a Thunderbird Tower PC. The thing is they all work really well although some screens are not that good. Then there is the iStuff.

Must have a clearout.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks all, progress has been made. Tried popping the delete key off which I did on a kill or cure basis and the fault seems to have gone away. Also found a human (rather than an email address) who seems to know what he is talking about and is sourcing an HP spare albeit in black (cheaper and more readily available). System (netbook, MDAC, Hackernap and Ergo 9's) is running fully now as I type and it sounds good, long may it work reliably

Phil :)

Doh! I know the feeling as I now have 5 x T.2x, 2 x T.42, T.60 but not to mention 2 x Mac Mini, 2 x Dell XPS and and and a Thunderbird Tower PC. The thing is they all work really well although some screens are not that good. Then there is the iStuff.

Must have a clearout.

Cheers,

DV

I have a Mac Mini-sized void that needs filling (cheaply) if you're getting rid ;)

I have a Mac Mini-sized void that needs filling (cheaply) if you're getting rid ;)

I have a unibody (expensive) Mini that I'm keeping. The G4 I use for research into how Apple OSX works. It will work as a music server or for garage bad etc under OSX Leopard.

I wasn't thinking of getting rid of it but if it'll do you a turn drop me a PM and we'll discuss it further.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks for the offer - v kind, but I previously bought a G4 model in error (sold it at nl loss so no financial damage done). I'm after an intel model for Spotify purposes, something core (2) duoish.

Good luck if you do decide to sell though.

advertisement

Back