advertisement

Advice on an active PA speaker

ex brickie

pfm Member
I’m interested in buying an active PA speaker that I could use for a party for around 50 people (yes I’m optimistic that one day it might be safe to do this again!)

many years ago I used to DJ but I used a Citronic amp and passive Peavey, Electrovoice and Mackie speakers. I sold them on years ago but now want something simple in the form of a single active PA speaker

I’ve no idea what are decent these days. I do recall being told that ‘digital’ amps were all the rage but what I heard they were harsh sounding.

My preference is for secondhand - avoiding anything that has been thrashed. My reason for an active speaker is space and storage rather than buying another PA amp and passive speaker

Any tips on what I should look for? I may put a wanted ad up at some point but I need some advice on what to look out for

Thanks

You can't really go wrong with something from RCF or db Technologies. RCF started it all off with the ART200A which I still have a pair of, the newer ART310As are great as they only weigh 10kg and are great for voice, with only a 10" woofer you won't get loads of bass though.

Back in the day Mackie bought RCF and used them to design their own speakers, however I always preferred the RCF house sound to Mackie so would avoid those. RCF are independent again now.

Something like this would probably suit, depending on your budget: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20379635...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Buy old analogue Mackies! Thats my top tip. Avoid modern class D and DSP like the plague. A mate asked my advice and then did the opposite cos he'd seen some modern RCF on special offer.... one blew about a week after the years guarantee ran out and the other about 3 months later...

He borrowed some 25 year old analogue active speakers from me the last time he gigged...

I have to say that the older RCFs always have a more musical sound, and big transformer that gives them the weight! Problem is that for the last at least 15+ years PA has been using switch mode amps for weight (I've no problem with good switch mode amps personally) so the original all analogue active speakers will be hard to come by.

db technologies have always been switch mode amps - rumour has it that they made the earlier RCF switch mode amp modules and RCF made the drivers for the db boxes.

In contrast to Arkless I'd steer clear of the Mackie SRM450s - always hated the treble horn design, never sounded very nice when you turned the wick up...

Are you after just the one speaker? If so it might be worth checking out the JBL wi-fi stuff. I've got one of their portable charge 4 wi-fi speakers and I love the sound of it. Obviously it's not remotely HI-FI, but the sound on pop and rock is entertaining enough considering it's size. It's also waterproof and shock resistant (dependent on how hard you intend on partying:)) I know they do bigger versions that might be worth checking out? One box and no speaker stand legs for guests to trip over!
Failing that, for more traditional PA speakers, I've gigged in bands using HK, Carlsbro etc, but probably like the Mackie stuff I've used the best.

Yep over 55 Arlkess ! I just wondered if there were any prefixes to Mackie models that would be a quick guide . Google it is then!

One decent ‘proper’ DJ/PA active speaker will do. Needs to be more robust and powerful than a Hifi active. Needs to fill a large room or small hall . Only occasional use

Or I may have to go back to a trusty old amp and passive speakers! I don’t really have the storage space though.

Yep over 55 Arlkess ! I just wondered if there were any prefixes to Mackie models that would be a quick guide . Google it is then!

One decent ‘proper’ DJ/PA active speaker will do. Needs to be more robust and powerful than a Hifi active. Needs to fill a large room or small hall . Only occasional use

Or I may have to go back to a trusty old amp and passive speakers! I don’t really have the storage space though.

SRM450 is what I'd go for but it must be the early V1/Mk1 version, made in USA.

For a decent active speaker it is hard to better Yamaha DSR range for sane money, which also have long warranties. Second hand then perhaps investigate RCF and in particular the TT range, i have models that are gigged most weeks and are pushing eight years old, which have only been reconed and the odd splash of paint over their lives.
For passive speakers, try Martin Audio second hand, plenty around and they are very supportive if help is needed. We also run a stack of Bose 802's for use a very community events as they are easy to fix with basic tools and more importantly cheap. Don't bother with the Bose equaliser and use an decent amp with eq, all the relevant settings are available online, not the finest sound ever, but they sound miles better than a cheap compression driver will.

Buy old analogue Mackies! Thats my top tip. Avoid modern class D and DSP like the plague. A mate asked my advice and then did the opposite cos he'd seen some modern RCF on special offer.... one blew about a week after the years guarantee ran out and the other about 3 months later...

He borrowed some 25 year old analogue active speakers from me the last time he gigged...
I think there have been some cost cutting exercises with more recent RCF stuff, I’ve had some Art 722s for about 8 years or so and used them heavily, still going strong. A friend had fourth, generation 712s and one started playing up after about six months of use. I have to say though, I love my old ART 300s, they have less power and they’re heavier, but they sound great and are still going strong at 20 years old.

I think there have been some cost cutting exercises with more recent RCF stuff, I’ve had some Art 722s for about 8 years or so and used them heavily, still going strong. A friend had fourth, generation 712s and one started playing up after about six months of use. I have to say though, I love my old ART 300s, they have less power and they’re heavier, but they sound great and are still going strong at 20 years old.

Those are the best version of the SRM450 in every way, not just more reliable but sound way better then the later, cost cut versions.

IIRC Either Mackie bought RCF or the other way round quite a few years ago now. The early made in USA SRM450's are indeed the best in every way yes. Again IIRC, they were then made in Italy, by RCF, and by now are surely made in China but I believe the latest versions are SRM450 in name only and a completely different beast with class D amps SMPS cheaper drive units etc etc

I used Yamaha DBR12 for a good few years. Never a problem. Two of these will suit from a small room to a largish ball room. More than decent SQ. The older active analogue speakers are very heavy, particularly if you want to tripod mount them. The Yams were more than manageable solo. I used the Yams for a couple of evenings of prog rock & lights to a very discerning audience; no complaints on SQ and I was running loud!

I
IIRC Either Mackie bought RCF or the other way round quite a few years ago now. The early made in USA SRM450's are indeed the best in every way yes. Again IIRC, they were then made in Italy, by RCF, and by now are surely made in China but I believe the latest versions are SRM450 in name only and a completely different beast with class D amps SMPS cheaper drive units etc etc
I think RCF bought Mackie a very long time ago, there were several lines that were marketed under both brands in the mid 90s to early 00s including the ART 300/500 series. Not sure, who Mackie belong to now but RCF are self owned, I believe RCF own DB Technologies.

I’ve owned Mackie passives before. It is touch and go whether the recommended Mackie actives (SRM 450 V1) are any cheaper than a pair of their passives and a vintage amp. Most of the speakers understandably come in pairs but I can probably make do with one if it comes up (and someone doesn’t mind sending by courier - I’m in west Wales)

I use RCF’s. No problems at all. Relatively lightweight and sound decent for the cost.
EV better but generally more expensive and heavier I think

advertisement

Back