advertisement

Advice for buying older speakers (JBL/Yamaha and similar)

madman1887

Hello and Happy Christmas.

I am interested in purchasing some "vintage" speakers. I was thinking something like the Yamaha NS1000 or the JBL 4311. I am looking for something with 12/15 inch drive units and relatively compact. In terms of sound, I'm looking for something with with a powerful bass and clear "airy" HF. I don't necessarily want a flat response, I want something that's coloured, "bold" sounding and fun to listen to. I already have other speakers that are more neutral and balanced.

My questions are the following:
  • This is the first time I'm considering "vintage" speakers. I would like some advice around what to look for when purchasing older speakers
  • What are the differences between the various Yamaha models? NS1000, NS1000m etc (not spec sheet differences, but the sound differences)
  • Same as above, but JBL 4311 4312 4411 /b/se/ etc?
  • The newer Tannoy Stirling GR looks nice but it might not be the sound I'm after?
  • I really like Kenrick Sound's stuff in Japan (http://kenricksound.com/) but I'm based in the UK. Anyone know of anyone else that does anything like him? (restoring older speakers etc)
  • Is it reasonable to expect the sound I'm looking for with these large-drive unit older deign speakers?
  • How much should I expect to pay for something like this?

I plan to use Jeff Rowland Capri S2 preamplifier and 125 power amplifier to drive the speakers.

Many thanks for reading and any responses.

Don't forget Pioneer and JVC, even Sony, although they don't come up as often, there are some gems in their top ranges. I have a pair of JVC SX-911's which are (imo) very good, with good quality drivers. I would love to hear some of the large Pioneer speakers from the 70's/80's like the S-9500DV, but you just don't see them.

The main thing I'd be looking for is properly functioning drivers, as it's (imo) far easier to restore the cosmetics of the cabinets than finding replacement drivers, it would also be a good idea to replace any electrolytic caps in the crossovers too ;)

Price wise, you will probably pay more for JBL's and NS1000's (always wanted the 'X' model with the carbon woofers) because their better known.

L100/4311/2 etc are great fun but not in the same league as the NS1000 Yammies. Vintage JBL's I'd look out for would be L300 Summits.

Yamaha NS1000M was once chosen by the Swedish Radio as there main monitor after VERY elaborate listening and measurement tests. Don't expect much coloration there ;-)

L100 etc was (according to myth) developed to sound like 1950/60's Altec monitors, but in a smaller package for a studio guy who had invested in a 8 track tape recoder and therefore needed 8 monitor speakers! Lot's of coloration there.

As cooky said, go for the real vintage JBL monitors 4331/4333 (or L200/L300 when sold in the HiFi store), much better sound than 4311/L100. I have 4331B's myself.

Yep, if you want vintage coloured don’t bother with the Yamahas.

As far as the different models, there is no real difference between the NS1000 and the M variant. The main difference is the non M version has a solid wood cabinet (intended for the domestic market) and is therefore slightly bigger.

In both cases, as long as all drive units work and there is no visual damage to the drivers, there isn’t much to worry about when purchasing second hand.

advertisement

Back