advertisement

Adverts, Film & TV - music in media

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I was appalled to hear In Every Dream Home a Heartache by Roxy Music in an advert today. I can't remember which advert it was, but it was horrible to hear it butchered so badly. Oh wait, I think it was a perfume or aftershave advert. I'm not sure. But whatever it was, someone should have said no, you can't have that song.

In Every Dream Home a Heartache also appears at the start of season 2 of Mindhunters on Netflix. The context was more befitting, I felt than that of the advert. But again, there was a bit of butchery going on: the line 'Is there a Heaven?' has been cut. Surely, the producers weren't worried about including such postulation? Either way, it was a good choice but I would have preferred the lyrics to have remained intact.

I also don't approve of David Bowie's music suddenly appearing in adverts. Bowie was careful about that sort of stuff but what can you do when you're dead, eh?

I’d have thought putting Dream Home to service in a TV lifestyle ad completes the perfect circle, given its theme. Somewhere Ferry will be smiling a cheshire cat smile....

There is some insurance comparison hoodiddy advert that has ruined / stolen moments from several films. Ghostbusters and Wizard of Oz come to mind. Then there is a 'let's appeal to the 50 somethings ' swines using Topcat and The Flintstones to flog summat or other? Either non-existent interest rates if you use our bank, or estate agent pants, cannot remember which.

Was startled to hear The Sonics' version of 'Have love, will Travel' on an advert for car insurance recently.

Also recently watched the splendid 'Logan Lucky' heist movie by Steven Soderbergh, which has a very knowing mixtape soundtrack assembled by David Holmes - anyone that gets Mac Rebennack, The Groundhogs, Screaming Lord Sutch, The Monks AND John Fahey into an action movie soundtrack is alright by me.

I watched Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me yesterday and the sound of debauchery when Laura Palmer and Donna Hayward go 'clubbing' in the seediest joint you can imagine was really, er, really debauched-sounding. Not quite on a par with the sensual sound you hear in From Dusk Till Dawn when Salma Hayek dances on stage with a big snake, but Angelo Badalamenti captures the seedy atmosphere pretty well all the same.

I can't find a clip of the Twin Peaks scene - probably because it contains nudity - but here's Salma doing her thing:

I've always thought that lovely day by Bill Withers was a very good song ruined by over use on TV and film.

I heard ‘Holiday In Cambodia’ - Dead Kennedys on Come Dine With Me the other day.

The tunes they use on that programme are very well placed, usually for comic value.

I've been watching True Blood for the last few weeks and although the plot's as daft as anything, the opening title song is an absolute killer (Bad Things by Jace Everett). In fact, I reckon the opening line is one of the best opening lines ever written as it nails the dark vibe of the show in eight words: "When you came in, the air went out"

advertisement

Back