advertisement

Adventures in weird-fi

kasperhauser

pfm Member
What the oddest bit of kit you’ve ever owned/encountered?

For me it’s this: Superphon C.D. Maxx preamp made by Stan Warren (the “S” of PS Audio). Oak sides, molded perspex casework, and to my eyes, unapologetically Star Trek-inspired styling (TOS of course). Can be used active (“line” position of upper right toggle) or passive (“bypass”).

It lights up real swell when you plug it in; however, the lights do absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. And it’s small - about the size of a ream of paper, but a little thicker. Powered by a massive old-skool wall wart. Weighs all of 3 lbs. (closer to 4 if you include the power supply).

I bought it mostly because it was so weird, but also it was made here locally, and Stan Warren has a bit of a reputation for doing good things.

One drawback is it needs top shelf in the rack. It is, shall I say, most unusual in its method of operation, as the toggles and the silkscreened instructions suggest.

7-EC53-BD3-72-C9-4-B32-901-A-46-C444-EC26-C9.jpg

9-B0-EFDB2-175-B-45-B3-81-D7-D5-FBA80-D6840.jpg

1-D6-B70-C6-B8-F6-40-C0-AA90-4-F8-C29-C8998-C.jpg

9-B88-E5-D9-6-EC2-49-A9-9-B23-D3-DEB1-D3-F286.jpg

23-E740-BB-2549-46-AD-881-B-952-B9-E3-BF6-C1.jpg

Edit: just came across a link I’d never seen before that talks about the circuit and specs. Cool!

I must be boringly conservative when it comes to hi-fi as the only bonkers stuff I’ve done/owned are in the ‘tweak’ category right through to sticking little PWB foils on things, Mana tables, using twin & earth mains wire as speaker cable etc etc. I’ve tried most of the crazy stuff back in the past, but I haven’t owned any especially oddball hi-fi kit, I guess as I’ve always looked at things with an eye on investment and eventual resale. I buy stuff I know I can get out of! I guess you could argue JR149s were well off the beaten track when I owned my first pair being a little round speaker in a big square world, but they are justifiably recognised as classics now.

The thing I’ll pick is this:

c.jpg

(pic from old HiFiDo listing)

The dreaded Lencoclean wet-play system. I had this on my first proper hi-fi deck, a GL75 and it kind of worked, but once you start using it you have to continue as it seems to glue the dust to the record if you then play the record dry. I was convinced for a long while that it had ruined my (then quite small record collection), though obviously now with a proper wet-vac cleaner I can fix things like this now. Much to my horror it seems to have been reborn under the brand Analogis (eBay). Top tip: avoid.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Some won’t agree but to me, power cords with oversized diameter and hollow center is.................how can I phrase politely..............

^interesting! and the point is??

Given that it's Vestax and has approximately SL-1200-esque features, my guess is that it's for turntablists. It can allow them to scratch records in a way that a) the audience can clearly see what they're doing and b) is easier on the wrists.

Just a guess, FWIW.

Just a silly tweak, but I owned one of these things:

bedini-clarifier-front-main.jpg

Also, as was the fashion at the time, I tried coating the edges of my CDs with markers, green, blue, etc. Black Sharpies won out. \-]

I combined the Ultra Clarifier with the black Sharpie, since all I had to do was hold the marker against the CD while it spun.

I smoked a lot more weed back then.....

^interesting! and the point is??

As mentioned, I'm not sure! As above, i think it was for DJs doing fancy scratchy stuff in confined spaces but I don't think any ever did.

Equally ironically, it will tilt up to 60 degrees from horizontal, but it gets a bit skippy above 45 degrees!

47 Labs Shigaraki 4717 integrated amp. Quite a cool aesthetic in stainless steel and ceramic, with the separate power supply and vertically oriented amp. But look at the guts of the thing! Its amazing it worked at all, but the fact that it sounded great was the real shocker. One of the items I most regret selling, and I would buy one (second hand) in a heartbeat.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

Was given one of these a few years ago:
5315dd62630ff0ace90b438645a8e597.jpg

Had a funky looking display thingy but it also made everything sound horrible.

I used to put heavy asphalt sheets into all hifi boxes. A bit weird. The I joined the AA and has been free ever since.

47 Labs Shigaraki 4717 integrated amp. Quite a cool aesthetic in stainless steel and ceramic, with the separate power supply and vertically oriented amp. But look at the guts of the thing! Its amazing it worked at all, but the fact that it sounded great was the real shocker. One of the items I most regret selling, and I would buy one (second hand) in a heartbeat.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

I love the looks of the Shigaraki line, especially the components cased in ceramic cubes.

When I retire to my fantasy traditional Japanese house in the Tohoku countryside I'm going to get the complete system!

I still have the Shigaraki CD transport, I love it and it's never going anywhere. All the rest of the 47 Labs gear (Gaincard, Input Chooser, Phonocube, Shigaraki DAC) has been sold, but I had 15 happy years using it all nearly every day.

What the oddest bit of kit you’ve ever owned/encountered?

For me it’s this: Superphon C.D. Maxx preamp made by Stan Warren (the “S” of PS Audio). Oak sides, molded perspex casework, and to my eyes, unapologetically Star Trek-inspired styling (TOS of course). Can be used active (“line” position of upper right toggle) or passive (“bypass”).

It lights up real swell when you plug it in; however, the lights do absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. And it’s small - about the size of a ream of paper, but a little thicker. Powered by a massive old-skool wall wart. Weighs all of 3 lbs. (closer to 4 if you include the power supply).

I bought it mostly because it was so weird, but also it was made here locally, and Stan Warren has a bit of a reputation for doing good things.

One drawback is it needs top shelf in the rack. It is, shall I say, most unusual in its method of operation, as the toggles and the silkscreened instructions suggest.

7-EC53-BD3-72-C9-4-B32-901-A-46-C444-EC26-C9.jpg

9-B0-EFDB2-175-B-45-B3-81-D7-D5-FBA80-D6840.jpg

1-D6-B70-C6-B8-F6-40-C0-AA90-4-F8-C29-C8998-C.jpg

9-B88-E5-D9-6-EC2-49-A9-9-B23-D3-DEB1-D3-F286.jpg

23-E740-BB-2549-46-AD-881-B-952-B9-E3-BF6-C1.jpg

Edit: just came across a link I’d never seen before that talks about the circuit and specs. Cool!

Like it but it would look cooler with hex head socket bolts!.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl
Exact same look as my grandpa’s toaster ! Amazing !

advertisement

Back