advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

Has anyone done a direct comparison of this "solution" to Souncare Superspikes .. interested to hear what your thoughts are if so?

Wanted to give this a try ... my sink matt arrived a few days ago and bumpers will arrive today.

Nobody's actually specified but I'm guessing (and from what I can see in pics) the "bit" from fom the matt goes on the floor and the bumper pointing up towards the speaker, has anybody tried it the other way with the matt closest to teh speaker and the bumper on the floor and if so is there any difference?

One of my reasons for wanting to get away from spikes is whenever you move the speakers across the floor they scrape along and I'm sure it'll eventually leave marks, if the latter configuraion worked as well I'd possibly buy some double sidded tape and attach them to speakers that way.

Wanted to give this a try ... my sink matt arrived a few days ago and bumpers will arrive today.

Nobody's actually specified but I'm guessing (and from what I can see in pics) the "bit" from fom the matt goes on the floor and the bumper pointing up towards the speaker, has anybody tried it the other way with the matt closest to teh speaker and the bumper on the floor and if so is there any difference?

One of my reasons for wanting to get away from spikes is whenever you move the speakers across the floor they scrape along and I'm sure it'll eventually leave marks, if the latter configuraion worked as well I'd possibly buy some double sidded tape and attach them to speakers that way.

For all intents and purposes, I think the combo works just as well regardless of whether the bumper is on the speaker and pointing down or affixed to the pad and pointing up. That said, the benefit of having the bumper affixed to the pad and pointing up is that because the bumper will leave a small dimple on the pad, if you move it, you don't need to worry about living up the dimple again. With the bumper affixed to the pad, that's it. The location is locked in. What I've done this morning is put another pad beneath the the combo so that I've got two pads with a bumper stuck to the pad on top. That way, the bottom pad helps to compensate for the compression under load of the top bumper. I wasn't the first to do this, I think Chris and Alex have been doing this, but it sounds great!

For all intents and purposes, I think the combo works just as well regardless of whether the bumper is on the speaker and pointing down or affixed to the pad and pointing up. That said, the benefit of having the bumper affixed to the pad and pointing up is that because the bumper will leave a small dimple on the pad, if you move it, you don't need to worry about living up the dimple again. With the bumper affixed to the pad, that's it. The location is locked in. What I've done this morning is put another pad beneath the the combo so that I've got two pads with a bumper stuck to the pad on top. That way, the bottom pad helps to compensate for the compression under load of the top bumper. I wasn't the first to do this, I think Chris and Alex have been doing this, but it sounds great!

I think you slightly missed what I was suggesting with the bumper moving on the pad .... Talking layers closest to the bottom of the speaker 1st going down, I'm thinking double sided sticky tape on the bottom of the speaker, then the Addis pad, then the bumper with the sticky side attached to the pad .... if that makes sense?
It would mean when you moved the speaker the whole thing stayed in place, my hesitation in doing it is any marks the sticky tape would leave on an expensive speaker ... albeit on the underside.

Just fitted four of the the now classic pad/bumper combos between the Stand and Deliver stands and each of the ESL63s. It isn't a very pure arrangemet as for a base the speakers have a thin panel below their electronics which is what is making contact with the pads, and the speakers are still attached to the stands by screws that I have tried to avoid over tightening.

It does sound different, maybe drier with the bass a little quieter. One of the things I like about the ESL63s is the clarity of the soundstage they create. So I am surprised that now there does seem to be a little more sharpness of focus on the positioning of Youssou N'Dour's voice and individual instruments than before.

The percussive intruments are sounding maybe a fraction more dynamic than usual. Yet there is also overall a feeling that something in the lower registers that I am used to has been diminished. Going to run with this for a few days with all sorts of music then revert and consider!

I think you slightly missed what I was suggesting with the bumper moving on the pad .... Talking layers closest to the bottom of the speaker 1st going down, I'm thinking double sided sticky tape on the bottom of the speaker, then the Addis pad, then the bumper with the sticky side attached to the pad .... if that makes sense?
It would mean when you moved the speaker the whole thing stayed in place, my hesitation in doing it is any marks the sticky tape would leave on an expensive speaker ... albeit on the underside.

Ah, I see what you mean... can you show me the way to Specsaverslol

The good news is that the pads are tacky on both sides so there's a good chance you won't need to use any tape at all. If you use a book to prop up the front of the speakers then you should be able to insert an upside down combo and then once you remove the book and drop the front, the combo should stick to the speaker. Then do the same at the back. As long as you don't impart too much lateral movement once the speakers are in situ the combo should 'stick' to the bottom of the speakers no problem. This is an interesting proposition for sure!

Just fitted four of the the now classic pad/bumper combos between the Stand and Deliver stands and the ESL63s. It isn't a very pure arrangemet as for a base the speakers have a thin panel below their electronics which is what is making contact with the pads, and the speakers are still attached to the stands by screws that I have tried to avoid over tightening.

It does sound different, maybe drier with the bass a little quieter. One of the things I like about the ESL63s is the clarity of the soundstage they create. So I am surprised that now there does seem to be a little more sharpness of focus on the positioning of Youssou N'Dour's voice and individual instruments than before.

The percussive intruments are sounding maybe a fraction more dynamic than usual. Yet there is also overall a feeling that something in the lower registers that I am used to has been diminished. Going to run with this for a few days with all sorts of music then revert and consider!

Yeah, a slight loss of the visceral experience is part of the trade. It's totally welcome in my situation but I appreciate it might not be the right trade for everybody. You could always just stick the combo between equipment and stands. that way you'll get the benefits without changing how your speakers deliver music.

Yeah, a slight loss of the visceral experience is part of the trade. It's totally welcome in my situation but I appreciate it might not be the right trade for everybody. You could always just stick the combo between equipment and stands. that way you'll get the benefits without changing how your speakers deliver music.

OK I am a spike Harbeth fan. I like the visceral sound produced. Is your solution relevant to Tannoy speakers in particular?

I bought another sheet of 300 Ad pads from the bay, I now have now gone from 2 3x3 layers to 4 3x3 squares + a 2" round anti vibration under each of the 4 large feet of my Power amp. There are 2x2 squares 5 deep under the Virgin HD box & DVD player, CD4se & Croft phono stage there are 2 Ad pads with 8 mm bumper under the Caiman SEG, Dorado 3 & MCRU/Longdog PSU & connected box, biggest digital improvement was 4 x 2 Ad pads under the Virgin router even the TV picture is better ???

Tried extra Ad pads in a few places I could not hear a difference one of the double sided tapes I used went manky Mammoth tape held as usual though from experience it's a bugger to remove. Unexpected improvement all round more space between notes cleaner, extra dynamics, bass but more controlled, mid range & treble are so sweet on female or male voice from Carly Simon to countertenor Iestyn Davies to the the Sistine Chapel Choir singing Palestrina. Pet Sounds in mono or Wish you were here have never sounded so lush.

Just a few random thoughts. please remember I removed the Ad pads from under Rupert stands my Quad 57's sit on now more & better controlled bass than before this started, Single Ad pads under the electronics made a big impact in my system the extra Ad pads have enhanced the whole in my case the effect of the Ad pads on the electronics has improved the sound from the un- Ad padded speakers.

OK I am a spike Harbeth fan. I like the visceral sound produced. Is your solution relevant to Tannoy speakers in particular?

No, I think it's universal. It might well vary in terms of how much or how little visceral is traded but there will be some exchange for a cleaner sound and presentation.

This is why putting the combo under equipment only might a better option for some.

I bought another sheet of 300 Ad pads from the bay, I now have now gone from 2 3x3 layers to 4 3x3 squares + a 2" round anti vibration under each of the 4 large feet of my Power amp. There are 2x2 squares 5 deep under the Virgin HD box & DVD player, CD4se & Croft phono stage there are 2 Ad pads with 8 mm bumper under the Caiman SEG, Dorado 3 & MCRU/Longdog PSU & connected box, biggest digital improvement was 4 x 2 Ad pads under the Virgin router even the TV picture is better ???

Tried extra Ad pads in a few places I could not hear a difference one of the double sided tapes I used went manky Mammoth tape held as usual though from experience it's a bugger to remove. Unexpected improvement all round more space between notes cleaner, extra dynamics, bass but more controlled, mid range & treble are so sweet on female or male voice from Carly Simon to countertenor Iestyn Davies to the the Sistine Chapel Choir singing Palestrina. Pet Sounds in mono or Wish you were here have never sounded so lush.

Just a few random thoughts. please remember I removed the Ad pads from under Rupert stands my Quad 57's sit on now more & better controlled bass than before this started, Single Ad pads under the electronics made a big impact in my system the extra Ad pads have enhanced the whole in my case the effect of the Ad pads on the electronics has improved the sound from the un- Ad padded speakers.

I've only just gotten round to trying 2 layers of pads under my speakers, sounds like I need to be more daring than that lol

No, I think it's universal. It might well vary in terms of how much or how little visceral is traded but there will be some exchange for a cleaner sound and presentation.

This is why putting the combo under equipment only might a better option for some.

Ah I see thanks, my system is still flat earth - what you are talking about is HiFi, something very different. Good luck.:D

Ah I see thanks, my system is still flat earth - what you are talking about is HiFi, something very different. Good luck.:D

Oh, I dunno if I'd throw out the bath water here. There's no loss of dynamic or anything like that. And having cleaner sources is generally considered a good thing. Still, I'm all for people liking what they like and if you like how your system is already that's great... but it could be better ;)

Seriously, if you enjoy it as it is that's a brilliant, rare thing :)

EDIT: I'm playing a record just now and I think it's actually uncharitable and inaccurate to describe the Addis effect as 'hifi'. I don't know what it is, other than incredibly transformative, but hifi seems off the mark for sure.

How many stages of pads+bumpers are optimum for electronics - i.e. CD player, amp or DAC.
If you go to three or four stages does it make a worthwhile improvement?

Ah read the first few pages on this . Left it for several days, went and read the last couple of pages. What began as a wee chuckle has now become a concern for me ,regarding several of my fellow pfmers and the OP in particular.

Do these comments seem familiar?…

• symptoms that have no plausible organic basis;
  • symptoms that are transient and benign;
  • symptoms with rapid onset and recovery;
  • occurrence in a segregated group;
  • the presence of extraordinary anxiety;
  • symptoms that are spread via sight, sound or oral communication;
  • a spread that moves down the age scale.
  • ???????

The thing is, we're still in the process of discovering all the different ways in which the combo works... how to get the most out of the stuff as it doesn't come with a user manual! I've now put stacks of two pads+one bumper under my 1210GR and my speakers and it all sounds better again. Is that because two pads+one bumper is inherently better? Or is it load dependent? I don't know; I suppose it could even be a combination of the two. But, certainly, two pads+one bumper is better in this instance for sure when it comes to achieving more of the Addis effect.

What I'll probably end up doing is seeing how far I can take stacking pads, but there are limits. Two high is pretty stable, and I'm sure three would be pretty stable as well. But would I stick my speakers on stacks ten high? No chance! To get that high you'd need to use layers of seven as that's the lowest number of pads you'd need to make a geometric shape whereby the load bearing pads are surrounded by and connected to the other pads so that there's a centre load bearing column. Then I'd go ten high. So that's seventy pads per stack, times four, which works out at two hundred and eighty pads per stack to make four ten-high stacks... with bumpers on top.

That said, layers of seven would be a clumsy looking array. Stacks of nine would be the best aesthetically (think the nine square grid for noughts and crosses and that's what it would look like, but without the crosses and without the squares)... and that works out at ninety pads per ten-high stack and three hundred and sixty to make four ten-high stacks. Good thing these pads are cheap... as I need to go back to B&M!

Point of interest: at 2mm thick per pad, a stack of ten only equates to 20mm in height!

Have you thought about exploring the possibility of these pads as room tuning devices?,
think Shun Mook or Harmonix used to produce pads where you strategically stick on walls to great effect.

advertisement

Back