advertisement

Adding DAC

griffin10010

pfm Member
Thinking of adding DAC to Quad Vena and Node 2i, Suggestions please up to 2/300 pounds new or second hand and how do I connect it, a wiring diagram would be useful. Thanks.

Given the Vena has a dac in it, what difference do you presently hear between the Node’s dac and the Quad’s?

Thinking of adding DAC to Quad Vena and Node 2i, Suggestions please up to 2/300 pounds new or second hand and how do I connect it, a wiring diagram would be useful. Thanks.
Spend your £2 - 300 on pimping the Node if not already done, then, as for external, connections. The Node has 2 digital, out options SPDIF via Coax or Optical, (analogue and both digital out work simultaneously), once pimped connect the Node via RCA + Coax and/or Optical into the Vena DAC. That way you can check which output from the Node you prefer.
For other DACs (if you really must) try borrowing or sourcing from Amazon (easy no quibble returns) the coax/optical, from Node to DAC and RCA from Dac to amp.
Though at your budget an external DAC is likely to merely give a slightly different flavour than be better and provide a vfm upgrade.

Last edited:
I had the original Vena which I really liked as an amp, quite happily have another, the built in DAC was OK but nothing special, I had the Node 2i briefly at the same time, I'd rate them about on a par, probably use the Vena DAC if I had to choose one.

I preferred a Dacmagic 100 to both, which is only about £120 but suited my ears better.

advertisement

Back