advertisement

Ad intrusion on pfm

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon g

Older, wiser but no longer retired
I've recently been getting intrusive, central screen, ads on PFM. Not the banner ads; no problem with them. These are ads which sporadically appear when moving about the forum. It's not malware as these are Google driven and I've seen them on other forums, especially when not logged in. I am logged in on pfm.

I find them extremely annoying and intrusive as they interrupt navigation of the forum and require action to negate. Any one else experiencing this?

I was just about to post about that. I’ve no objection to ads as they help Tony pay for the site, but a window being displayed when you click a link is a step too far IMHO.

Safari on an iPad Pro if it’s relevant.

I’ve not seen anything. The only Google ad locations on pfm are defined by a string of code in precise locations at the very top and bottom (header & footer). I do not have Google’s ‘smart’ ad facility (where it selects its own location) enabled.

My suggestion would be to clear all cookies and see if it persists. If I see anything myself I’ll look into it further.

I’ve not seen anything. The only Google ad locations on pfm are defined by a string of code in precise locations at the very top and bottom (header & footer). I do not have Google’s ‘smart’ ad facility (where it selects its own location) enabled.

My suggestion would be to clear all cookies and see if it persists. If I see anything myself I’ll look into it further.
It’s a floating Ad in the middle of the screen not a top/bottom/side banner

...but a window being displayed when you click a link is a step too far IMHO.

It’s a floating Ad in the middle of the screen not a top/bottom/side banner

This has to be malware of some kind. There is no mechanism on pfm that could cause that.

Malware that injects into Google code has definitely been a thing over the years so I assume this is what some have picked up.

Please try clearing all cookies. I’m prepared to bet it is something picked up elsewhere.

Twice today and some yesterday and the day before. i assumed it was part of Tony's ad-revenue thing.

I have had it as well.

Floating advert in about the middle of the screen.

Using an ipad.

going to clear the things that you clear. Cannot find the words properly, excuse me.

Update:

I’ve just logged into my AdSense account and much to my annoyance a new ‘auto optimise/experiment’ has been running today without my knowledge. I suspect this explains what people have experienced and I’ve obviously turned it and the whole feature off! The trial feature was described as ‘vignette ads’. I think we can safely conclude it isn’t a great fit for us!

My sincere apologies for any inconvenience. Hopefully nothing similar will occur again.

Certainly nothing appeared on my iPad today, glad you got to the bottom of it Tony. Is this normal practice for companies to “switch on a trial feature” without consultation? I guess it’ll be in the small print somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back