advertisement

Active working with valves?

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
I 've heard the improvements that active working brings to both Linn and Naim systems, although I couldn't live with either. Anybody tried, or know of anybody trying active with valves?

My thinking is this. I have a pair of Papworth M100 valve mono's, and whilst I couldn't afford another pair I reckon if I sold 'em, I could get a pair of Papworth TVA10 stereo power amps, which are superb 50+watters. I've long thought that using these, with a suitable active x/over, could yield very good results in a 2 way active system. Any views?

I'm gonna post this in DIY as well.

Mull

Yes, my audio journey these days is a bit like getting off the motorway and taking in all the adventures and meeting folk on all the backroads.

I know of a guy who basically took the crossovers out of his semi-efficient speakers and set them up externally, re-wired it all in silver, put 3w monoblock SETs on the top and 7w monoblocks on the bottom, all based around 6B4G valves and a home-brew based around a Loftin-White circuit. As he maxed these out over time it became a reference point that made it impossible for him to live with 80%+ of all the gear out there!

I have personally heard some of it, in fact it is sitting in my room except for the 3 watt amps as active is a big step I am not able to contemplate yet. I can honestly say that in all my years of hearing Audio Research, Linn, Naim, EAR890, EAR869, Unison S6, S8, Pathos, Croft, Krell, Sim Moon and a whole host of others more vintage I have never heard anything take me into the music like this on any source be it vinyl, cd or radio. These amps will be staying.

Anyway, back to your question, I am led to believe that ripping out a passive crossover removes the filtering that otherwise gets in the way of the purity of properly done valve amps, it also releases a precious 3 or 4db of gain.

Paul

advertisement

Back