advertisement

active vs. better passive crossover

Something went a bit awry there in editing my last post!

No problem serge .... I do have a lot of respect for your technical opinions... It just seems that you are not hearing the same things as the rest of us! When you claimed that even turntable and arms and most cartridges sound the same i couldn't let it go unchallenged any longer though....

Nevertheless one overarching thing I've learnt in audio is that audiophiles obsess about trivia, and that most of this stuff just doesn't matter.
S.

Having studied this post, I suppose what is trivial to one person is not to someone else.
I'm afraid not having the equipment to measure anything electrical I just use my ears, so don't have to obsess about measurements.

Show me how Serge. Look at all the measurements for the TEAD Vibe and show me where it is audibly worse than a fixed wire with gain.

http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/Hi-Fi/tom-evans-audio-design-athe-vibea-preamplifier.html

From the Test Report, that active pre-amp would be indistinguishable from a passive. It is transparent under any sort of objective criteria.

Consequently, if anyone said it sounded better than an appropriately used passive, I would have to question the test methodology. Properly blind? Properly level matched?

S.

Years ago over at the Naim forum there was talk about having 'dangling' crossovers on naim speakers. The idea was to minimize acoustical vibrations on the crossovers by detaching them from the speakers and some thought that a considerable part of the benefit of going active was just this acoustic insulation.

From the Test Report, that active pre-amp would be indistinguishable from a passive. It is transparent under any sort of objective criteria.

Consequently, if anyone said it sounded better than an appropriately used passive, I would have to question the test methodology. Properly blind? Properly level matched?

S.

Can I come in from the other end and state that if it is indistinguishable from a passive, why not save $8500 and use a passive:).

Years ago over at the Naim forum there was talk about having 'dangling' crossovers on naim speakers. The idea was to minimize acoustical vibrations on the crossovers by detaching them from the speakers and some thought that a considerable part of the benefit of going active was just this acoustic insulation.

When I changed some capacitors and wire on my JBL K2 speakers the crossover had to be on the floor behind the speakers. The DNM solid core cable would not fold up inside as the original "Monster Cable" had.
Without isolation under the crossover the sound is greatly degraded. I don't think "dangling" would isolate them.

That tells us more about the Naim forum than anything else. Active operation, properly-implemented (not the half-baked and incredibly expensive Naim version of active) is always a lot better than passive, for well-understood reasons, and this has nothing to do with danging or "isolated" passive crossovers.

Can I come in from the other end and state that if it is indistinguishable from a passive, why not save $8500 and use a passive:).

I'm sure we would all do that if it were the case.

Life is however far too short and otherwise interesting to enter into a circular argument with Serge about this. There's an election on!

Perhaps you could make a guide thread on how to do it? I'm sure it would interest many. I'm aware of some advanced software routes where you generate your own convolution filters, none are as easy as popping a DCX in the system.

Good idea. JRiver and Pure Music in stock form allow you to setup simple software crossovers, but I tend to prefer one of several solutions that allow you full EQ: this works particularly well with full-range drivers.

I know there's a strong belief on this forum that anything in the digital domain is terrifically painless and difficult to get wrong - so I'm surprised there isn't more interest in doing away with both inelegant solutions (ie, passive XO and D-A-D-A conversion) and harnessing the processing power of the computer.

It seems to be one of those obvious ideas that has been overlooked.

That tells us more about the Naim forum than anything else. Active operation, properly-implemented (not the half-baked and incredibly expensive Naim version of active) is always a lot better than passive, for well-understood reasons, and this has nothing to do with danging or "isolated" passive crossovers.
Attitude issues Bub? The benefits of going active weren't in doubt. The claim was that there were two effects, and that the second effect was considerable. Or at least cheap.

I think, if I were to rephrase Blzebub's comment in a way that makes most sense to me it would be that with going active you're on solid ground, so go that way. acoustic isolation is too speculative.

I like all the cheap shots at Naim, they're very funny.

I do hold the view that the best thing to do with a Naim passive crossover is to remove (not dangle) it wherever possible. Naim speakers are OK driven passively, but are totally different beasts when actively driven. In an active setup Naim speakers can produce some lovely music.

I would also hold the same view about most Linn speakers I've heard. Passively driven, they tend sound a bit flabby in the bass to my ears. Actively driven on the other hand the Linn bass is leaner and punchy (for want of a better description). Much more impressive when Aktiv. Similarly, I much prefer the active ATC speakers I've had the chance to listen to over the passive alternatives.

I'm a big fan of Naim. Two things they are not great at is power amps and speakers, however. Naim active speakers are therefore the "perfect storm".

I'm a big fan of Naim. Two things they are not great at is power amps and speakers, however. Naim active speakers are therefore the "perfect storm".
How can you be a big fan of Naim when you don't like their amplifiers or loudspeakers?

Perhaps a little fan of Naim, or more specifically dedicated fanboi for the NAC52 and CDS2?

How can you be a big fan of Naim when you don't like their amplifiers or loudspeakers?

Perhaps a little fan of Naim, or more specifically dedicated fanboi for the NAC52 and CDS2?

Perhaps I like most of their preamps as well, James, and most of their CD players, and the Aro as well. But that wouldn't be quite as much spiteful forum fun for you.

Perhaps I like most of their preamps as well, James, and most of their CD players, and the Aro as well. But that wouldn't be quite as much spiteful forum fun for you.
Hardly spiteful, Bub. I really rate the NAC52 and I'm never parting with my ARO. But I don't consider myself a BIG fan of Naim, for similar reasons to yours.

advertisement

Back