advertisement

Active Speakers

Yes, I did read that. My only reservation would be the substantial bass radiator on the back given the relatively small room size I have. Previously, I tried passive Dynaudio Special Forty and whilst they were amazing they just interacted with the room, bass wise, too much. Hence I moved to the ATC's being a sealed box. That's solved the boomy bass issue but sometimes leads to not enough if that makes sense.

As I understand it the rear drive unit is an active bass driver not a passive radiator.

I too would be looking at the Scm40a's and use the Linn's DSM correction to sort out bass issues.

....you may want to consider the Buchardt Audio A500.....

..... My only reservation would be the substantial bass radiator on the back given the relatively small room size I have......

As I understand it the rear drive unit is an active bass driver not a passive radiator.....

Paulq2 must be thinking of the passive S400's which have a rear facing bass radiator.

The active A500 is a different beast and doesn't have or need a passive bass radiator. It has a rear facing bass driver that works with the front mounted mid/bass unit, in a 2.5 config. out of the box.
Both of these are completely different drivers to the single mid/bass on the front of the S400.
The only component that's the same, is the tweeter, although that is mounted above the mid/bass on the A500, as opposed to below on the passive S400.
The DSP and downloadable "master tunings", allow for the speaker to become a 3-way if you wish for a different presentation...and you can also change back to 2.5 again.

DSP, room correction and master tunings, presenting deep well controlled, fast and articulate bass, with room nodes tuned out. Sounds very interesting.
They've already sold out of the white cabinet version. Rats ! ....just as I was about to pull the trigger on a pair today.

FL390

Having owned ATC100 ASLT and Adam Audio actives, I’d suggest you not rule out AA speakers if you want most of the sound at half of the price. ATCs are very good though, but expensive (though nobody pays full price)...

Having owned ATC100 ASLT and Adam Audio actives, I’d suggest you not rule out AA speakers if you want most of the sound at half of the price. ATCs are very good though, but expensive (though nobody pays full price)...
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean nobody pays full price?

As in, they sell out of dealers routinely heavily discounted, or....???

In the US and CAN they are outrageously expensive.

I have a love/hate relationship with the ATC's as there are times I find them amazing and times seriously sterile. I guess that's because they don't colour the recordings at all but, occasionally, I miss a bit of excitement and bottom end (no pun intended).

I have 19’s and find them very natural and dynamic, not at all sterile or unexciting. But I did have a problem with not enough bass. I was able to fix this by:
  • Moving speakers to front wall (and firing down other axis)
  • Gik 244 bass traps behind each speaker (i.e. 244 on wall and speaker almost touching the trap)
  • Bi-Wiring with decent speaker cable

What about the ATC SCM25A. I’m sure someone on here had a pair in the system pics for a while. You’ll get the bass and midrange drivers but not the latest tweeter though.
Although classed as a pro model I thought they looked great.

@Paulq2 Are your using SPACE on the Linn DS? That will sort your bass issues, which intern will free up the rest of the frequency range in the room.

As for speaker suggestions look at AudioVector, PMC and Kudos, these were the brands I found that went beyond the often sterile sound I heard, that includes the Linn floor standing options, which are typical very sterile, 242 etc

Am thinking of reducing box count and simplifying my system so am considering some active speakers instead of the current setup of:

I am considering:

Dynaudio Focus XD
ELAC Navis ARB-51

I bought a pair of the ELAC Navis at the start of the year. Stunning little speaker. Great soundstage and detail. The bass, while obviously never going to shake the walls in such a little speaker, is very solid and clean.

I've had absolutely no regrets with these. Now looking around for an upgrade to the pre-amp/DAC.

Good luck.

I suspect the Navis will eventually be my next purchase, though I confess I’m finding my current Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 awfully good for the price ($600/pr US).

advertisement

Back