advertisement

Active loudspeakers: why so few floorstanders?

Are you looking to buy an active floorstander?

Well I've read a number of people commenting that they've gone down the active route and it does intrigue me but I prefer floorstanders and there really isn't anything like as much choice as with passives.

Well I've read a number of people commenting that they've gone down the active route and it does intrigue me but I prefer floorstanders and there really isn't anything like as much choice as with passives.

Have you tried some of the available options?

Have you tried some of the available options?

No, I've not tried anything as yet. I've had my existing speakers (PMC GB1i, purchased used) for about 3 years and have been itching to try out something different. Although I'm hoping to move house in a year or so and consequently I'm reluctant to commit any significant amount of dough to a pair of speakers on the basis that I don't know what sort of listening environment I'll have in the new place cometh the time.

Active speakers are still niche and widely regarded as an 'oddity' within a large part of the audiophile community, despite having been available for decades. There are luckily more and more appearing.

I believe it's the 'lack of perceived' value that is one issue. No fancy casings and meters to display. No 'upgradeability' either. It goes against the grain of many old school Audiophiles (nothing to do with age either).

SG is a good example. He admits not liking the concept yet still 'reviews' the odd one here and there, with predictable consequences.

Bigger studios use Bigger Monitors floorstanders
GoldddiggersTMs1.jpg

With all those guitars in the room mucking up the sound, guy clearly knows nothing. Although that rug does tie the room together does it not?

As to the original question, after careful consideration I have concluded that there is no merit in caring.

Convinced active speakers are rapidly becoming more mainstream and personally don't think it will be long before every manufacturer will have to have an active speaker in their line-up.

Convinced active speakers are rapidly becoming more mainstream and personally don't think it will be long before every manufacturer will have to have an active speaker in their line-up.

There's a very good chance that active speakers will become more popular with onboard DACs, EQ settings and digital amps , like the little KEFs

But the active floorstanders that are out there include some of the best loudspeakers you can get, so you have a pretty good ready-made shortlist to start with.

No, I've not tried anything as yet. I've had my existing speakers (PMC GB1i, purchased used) for about 3 years and have been itching to try out something different. Although I'm hoping to move house in a year or so and consequently I'm reluctant to commit any significant amount of dough to a pair of speakers on the basis that I don't know what sort of listening environment I'll have in the new place cometh the time.

If you like PMC you'll love their active range.

IB1S-AIII would be your obvious upgrade path.

Hope you can find somewhere with a good listening space.

Active from the pro end would tend to avoid long thin shapes, and favour squat shapes for a few reasons.

1. Six inch bass drivers don't cut it. 9, 12, 15 or 16 inch drivers need a wide baffle.
2. A squatter shape means the frequencies that need to be damped in the bass enclosure are higher for any given volume. It's easier to damp higher frequencies. Long tall speakers tend to need to damp lower frequencies in the long dimension.
3. Studio geometry doesn't favour floor standers. E.g. you want all the drivers visible above the console.

You might like these active speakers :)

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2017/03/scalford-2017-adventures-in-space-in.html

Or this could be done for your GB1i speakers too.

Those BB5s sound glorious in a domestic setting even in passive form.

The actives with XBD are quite pricey!

advertisement

Back