advertisement

Active Crossovers, anyone dabbled?

Slightly off topic - I happened, quite by accident, to get a 5 minute demo of some speakers a few days ago, in a shop. Very decent, they sounded. It turned out they were Magico M7s. Yes, Ā£450,000 worth. They use passive crossovers. Maybe someone should tell Magico about the overwhelming benefits of active crossovers. Because clearly, by using passives, they're being disingenuous.

Wow again, irb!

Given you pulled a snowflake here:

@andyr Can't we do it without personal attacks? I'm getting really p***ed off with this stuff on PFM these days.

... you then overegg the pudding (and claim I'm "attacking" you).

Magico are a spkr mfr - their spkrs use passive XOs (like the vast majority of spkr mfrs) bcoz they want to allow their customers to use their own choice of amplifier.

Unfortunately - IMO, anyway - many people never get to hear the best their spkrs can offer ... bcoz they don't (or cannot afford to) choose an amp which will drive them well. :(

Case in point: a mate bought some MBL101s last year. He bought them from someone who was driving them (passively) with a Vitus amp - and he said "they just didn't float my boat". My mate knew why - and snapped them up at half price retail. (The Vitus is a high quality amp - but the MBLs need vastly more power than 100w, to shine.)

Con uses:
* a pair of ARC 250w tube monoblocs for the mids & tweeters
* and a pair of 2kW Class D monoblocs for the woofers
* plus, the MBLs hand over to a pair of 18" subs, having their own amplification.

I have never heard large scale orchestral works - like, say, Saint Saens Organ Symphony - sound as good on an audio system as on this one!

Wow again, irb!

Given you pulled a snowflake here:

... you then overegg the pudding (and claim I'm "attacking" you).
Honestly. You say I'm being insincere, for no reason I can fathom, and now you call me names because I objected. šŸ¤¦

I did use a miniDSP C-DSP 8x12 (car DSP) for quite a long time with ICE power amps, DIY standmounts with SEAS 4 inch coax and two active subwoofers, great sound and very nice to be able to fine tune with DSP. I am all digital so DSP is fine with me. I am currently saving for a Sun Audio Purified 4 system, maybe with their Nord Acoustics DSP amplifier solution, or miniDSP again but then a Flex HTx with seperate multichannel amp. Purifi woofer, Bliesma tweeter, clean measurements, active, sealed enclosures, 2.2, DSP, outboard electronics, all my checkboxes checked.:)

Ive had good results using the Ashly XR2001 stereo 3 way and the XR4001 stereo 4 way active analogue crossovers in my multiway horn systems.

Jack.

So I have a digital-based system ... used for playing analogue music. :D
Same here. Trinnov Amethyst DSP preamp with a Sugarcube DSP for LP processing and recording. Reproduced has music never sounded better.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back