advertisement

Acoustic research on ebay

docstocker

pfm Member
Every now and then these speakers get a mention on the forum.
I have just noticed that there are several interesting pairs up for sale on Ebay including two pairs of AR3 imp a pair of AR4ax and a pair of AR2ax
AR3s perhaps the heaviest bookshelf speakers ever!
These might make an interesting pairing with a vintage amplifier and at a good price might be 'recycled' if not to taste.
John

I bought a pair of floorstanders for my cinema system and I occasionally play an SB3 through them and they sound remarkably good for less than £100 on eBay.

Simon

They are lovely speakers, but almost all will need the bass drivers re-foamed as the surrounds fall to bits, in fact they probably fell to bits 15-20 years ago. Avoid speakers with non-standard replacement bass drivers fitted, which crop up on eBay quite regularly with claims of 'upgraded' or whatever. They just ain't ARs anymore.

There is a pair in my local junk shop at the moment, but they don't look up to much. I can't remember which ones. Medium sized bookshelf in cheap looking cabinets.

I'm wondering if its worth starting a thread on tatty looking old speakers seen in junk shops. There are some strange ones in my local Oxfam formerly used in a reggae sound system.

I am pretty sure that the bass surrounds on the AR4s are cloth.
Replacement surrounds for other models are easily available and fitting is relatively straight forward and there are some good instruction videos on you tube.
Go on, have a go. Put a bit more of the old school tinkering into your system!
john

I've owned quite a few AR's [AR3a,AR5,AR2ax,AR4X,AR8,AR18,AR94]

For me the stars are AR3a & AR5 The rest are "nice" but nothing amazing IMO. John is correct, the surrounds on the AR4's are cloth.

When I was a member of our local dramatic society they had a pair of AR MSTs, the 'little brother' of the 'mighty' LST. They sat on the front of the stage, for commentary, music, sound effects, etc. Sounded quite bright ( useful in the small theatre ) and went loud. With clarity. I wonder what happened to them...

advertisement

Back