advertisement

AcouPlex - Perplexed

No magic involved. It’s does actually work. I’d actually buy the stuff but it’s a bit too expensive for me. Spent all my money on power supplies….Baaaa! 😉

Yup, not a lot on their websites regarding AcouPlex. I was wondering if I could replace one of my Quadraspire shelves with this stuff, it seems to imply it but no mention.

You probably could. The rack they have developed is quite simple in construction, not unlike Quadraspire in concept so it mostly depends on whether the shelf holes are spaced correctly for QS racks. I'd suggest you email them. Alternatively, they have 'platforms' (basically undersized sheets, smaller than the full shelf) which you can place on the shelf between the shelf and the equipment. It's what I've done, for now.

As an equipment or shelf support, sure, but on top...?

But why exactly are you surprised?
Because I need at least a tentative explanation of how/why based on something closely resembling science and not resembling at all green dots on CDs. I think a couple of of people have touched on this and @karlsushi has kindly offered to share the listening experience next time we grab a coffee. I'm up for that. I have never insisted that theory needs to precede practice, I just need to be able to connect the two before or after the event. I know, call me Mr Needy!

I meant that vibrations can go in all directions (if the source is a transformer for example) or even if you believe that isolation put below has a bigger impact, nothing is perfect and they reach upper plate

The bloke who develops the acouplex stuff cannot explain how or why it works

Or why one shape is better than another

It’s all trial and error with theories proven or quashed by trial and error

And with the benefit of input from a bunch of like minded enthusiasts like me and Paul

Listening to Beethoven 9th at the moment and wish I could share it with you all

Dave

However it’s where we are now with the benefit of a decade of experience of finding improvements in mains supply and isolation

Or rather energy management

And I’m a tightarse

If there was a better way to spend to improve what I have I would do that

But for any given level of kit the best bang for the buck is sorting mans and support out before upgrading boxes

Any Accuphase product will outperform the next one up if placed on Acouplex

And that’s the cheaper option

Err

That’s not the expensive one

There are a number of Signals customers who have pulled the trigger on the top block

Discussion here is pointless

Those of us who get it want to share our discovery with anyone who would benefit

This thread has a long way further down to go

And I’ll leave it to do that

Anyone who wants to know more can contact me or call the shop on 01614287887

Dave

The power of suggestion is very strong. If I thought I heard unexplained phenomena like this I would want to verify several times that I could discern it with a blindfold and a reliable helper. Audioworks also demonstrated the effect of adding supertweeters which kick in at 15kHz, well above what I hear in an ear test. Nevertheless I can't dismiss a very subtle change in the acoustics and 'openness' which I thought I may have heard although enthusiastically suggested by Steve. I still reserve my judgement and would like to do blind tests to prove to myself that I could actually hear what I think I heard. With obvious differences I can just about trust my ears. With more subtle and subliminal differences I prefer not to rely on my easily-tricked senses.

Aren't these a bit like the Totem 'Beaks', although the beaks look vaguely cool and expensively engineered. The beaks make mysterious claims about dispersing parasitic resonances.

Aren't these a bit like the Totem 'Beaks', although the beaks look vaguely cool and expensively engineered. The beaks make mysterious claims about dispersing parasitic resonances.
The difference a set of beaks make is very marginal and very minimal, I bought a pair (£60) to try them when I owned Totem Arros but soon sold them on.

advertisement

Back