advertisement

Accessing mkv files on Mac through Apple TV using Elmedia Video Player

ToTo Man

the band not the dog
Has anyone done this successfully?

I have Elmedia Video Player PRO installed on my Mac Mini running 10.11.6, and have just installed Elmedia Video Player for AppleTV on my Apple TV running OS 14.7.

I've followed the rather sparse instructions, enabling SMB File Sharing on the Mini, but when I enter the IP address, login name and password on the Elmedia Apple TV app I get an "error - Authentication failed" message. I've tried several things, including disabling the Firewall on the Mini, but nothing resolves it.

Can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

At times like this first believe the error message and then work through step wise. Do you have a PC/laptop you could use to access the share on the mini? Oh you have specified a share haven't you?

Authentication failed so start from the beginning. Can you ping the IP address from a PC and if so can you also log in. If not the share hasn't been set up correctly. If you can access the share via a PC then the finger points to the Apple TV set up.

Have fun,

DV

At times like this first believe the error message and then work through step wise. Do you have a PC/laptop you could use to access the share on the mini? Oh you have specified a share haven't you?

Authentication failed so start from the beginning. Can you ping the IP address from a PC and if so can you also log in. If not the share hasn't been set up correctly. If you can access the share via a PC then the finger points to the Apple TV set up.

Have fun,

DV

Thanks for the quick reply, DV.

I don't have a PC so cannot test the SMB.

Networking isn't really my area of expertise, however I've been able to access every Mac in the house from every other Mac in the house fine for years using the 'Connect As' button and entering my name and password, not just a specified shared folder but read/write access to the entire contents of the computers.

The AppleTV has been able to access my iTunes library successfully via Home Sharing for years, but I suppose that's the easiest / most foolproof sharing method so probably doesn't count for much.

When I enabled SMB on the Mini earlier today I also added the folder where the mkv files are stored to the shared folders list.

These are the instructions I'm following:
https://wiki.eltima.com/user-guides/elmedia-atv/add-library.html

The ATV is connected to my router by wifi and my Mini is connected to my router by ethernet. I tried enabling the Mini's wifi in case having both devices on the same wireless band helped but it didn't.

I'm wondering if, instead of entering "192.168.0.5" in the Elmedia AppleTV Player I should enter "FirstName-LastName's-Mac-Mini.local" ?

Just install plex, I have no idea what elmedia video player is, but plex is also free and will be a much nicer experience
Good shout, just installed Plex on the ATV and 5 minutes later I have access to all my mkv's! :)
It's a pity it doesn't recognise .dvdmedia containers otherwise I'd really be in business (I have about 400 dvd rips which would take a lot of time and storage space to convert to mkv).

I would imagine handbrake can convert dvdmedia. Just convert to MP4 or MKV

If you name the files well then plex will pick them up and give the relevant cover art and description

Just wondering, what happens if someone streams the same file on the ATV that I just so happen to be watching at the same time on my Mac Mini? Will bad things occur?

no
But like all things a beefer server for Plex never hurts. I have plex on a lump of a server but thats because I am a geek.

In terms of media playback, plex really is hard to beat and available on evry platform include apple tv, Shield etc, its remarkable software for free. If you just need to watch a corporate video or what ever vlc is fine but if you have a library plex all the way.

On my Mac Mini I use the DVD Player application to watch DVD rips (i.e. VOB files in a .dvdmedia wrapper) and VLC and Elmedia Player for everything else. I prefer Elmedia Player over VLC as it has a superior EQ and that's a feature that's important to me, but the combination of those three apps essentially has all bases covered.

I don't use AppleTV myself (I find a Mac computer, whether a laptop or desktop, infinitely more useful and intuitive to use than an iOS device!), but my parents do and so I've been looking for ways they can access my library of video content through the ATV. TBH though I'd probably be as well just to buy them a 2nd hand Mini and set up file sharing on that, - at least then I wouldn't need to convert my 400 or so DVD iso's to mkv or mp4 files!...

Last edited:

advertisement

Back