advertisement

About to get the Horn

IWC Doppel

pfm Member
:D

Hoping to get 'em up n running by the weekend, just cabling to the new external crossovers. It's a long tome since my LV Horns were making tunes

Hoping to have a TT plugged in to a valve set up by the end of July

Looking at Tron Severn, Tron 211 (serviced), Possibly Linn LP12, definately Syrinx PU2, hopefully a Red or Rosewood.

Time to start dusting off the vinyl :D

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/IWCDoppel/IMG_1782.jpg

I preferred to the S2's

very interesting - would you care to elaborate a bit?

S5 can be found rather cheap, especially in germany where vitavox exported some very ordinary PA boxes with it. i've recently seen a pair of these with 2 (vitavox branded) B&C 15" drivers, S5 and some bullet tweeter for not more than 400-500 euros.

very interesting - would you care to elaborate a bit?

S5 can be found rather cheap, especially in germany where vitavox exported some very ordinary PA boxes with it. i've recently seen a pair of these with 2 (vitavox branded) B&C 15" drivers, S5 and some bullet tweeter for not more than 400-500 euros.

When I had the both pairs at home, many a year ago, I found the S2 a little more refined and polished but somehow the S5's had a bit more poise, tactility and dynamics. Both good, no question !

Yes I remember disagreeing with Kevin over this. He always preferred S2 with S5 diaphragms as well as S5's. I always preferred S2's as they were. I recently incorporated a notch filter with mine to take out a slight 1.8K peak. They are sounding very even now on 400 Hz Stereolabs.

thanks for showing inside the crossover - interesting.

In building mine (also a horn / bass cone mix) I prefered a solid core inductor on the bass to an air-core. I have both (the air cores are in a cupboard).

The air core sounded a bit more 'airy', and the metal cored inductor gave a heavier-hitting bass.

If you ever fancy a bit more chunk-in-the-bass, its a relatively cheap DIY tweak and audibly different.

NB
Glad you are getting these up and running, they deserve to be listened to :)

PS
more photos required :)

but he still uses S2 in his flagship model?

i've recently acquired a pair of S3 as i couldn't afford S2. i think they have similar diaphragms. i'm wondering where is it against S2 and S5?

I think S2 and S3 actually share the same diaphragm. S3 has a ceramic magnet, S2 AlNiCo. I think that S5 was basically an S3 made with a different diaphragm for domestic purposes. Not sure if there were any other changes ie to the phase plug.

An aircored LF inductor will generally have a much higher DCR than one wound on a laminated core. It effectively decouples the driver more from the amplifier AIUI.

just googled the subject and got this link -

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-307237.html

For my uneducated mind, I think the synopsis is that air core is better at high volume due to having no core to saturate, but solid-core has lower insertion loss **(which may be why I find it gives more chunky sounding bass).

The technical aspect is beyond me - I simply found the air core ''spacious sounding' and the solid core 'more bassy'.

...liking rock, dance, and bass in general I went with the bassy one :)

if audiokarma's forum members are 'correct'.

Well, they are up and running.....

Oppo DVD, DAc Magic, Naim nait .......

So far, very fast and immediate, but very bright and Zero bass ....:(

I will try to organise streaming to DM then possibly an old Audio Research pre and Quad II's as the Tron's are not ready yet.

The first phase of a long journey has started :rolleyes:

So far, very fast and immediate, but very bright and Zero bass ....:(

The first phase of a long journey has started :rolleyes:

I am sure you are right.

Have you had other speakers in that room sound bassy?

Floorboards on the floor, not too many soft furnishings?

I am going to check db and frequency if I can. I have yet to play with position and all of the crossover components are new.

It's a good point on phase

There will be a limit to how low a 12" in a BLH with that mouth size will play (even if augmented by a corner) The key though is to see that the mid & top are attenuated down to the level of the bass/mid driver. Ideally you need some means of measuring the response you are getting.

It's just playing away in the background to help burn the new crossovers in for the moment, it has got better in terms of balance. I am reminded how dynamic and resolving they are ;)

advertisement

Back