advertisement

Abbas audio dac Usb to spdif options

Hi.

I’m interested in buying an Abbas Dac Z, but it only has a spdif input. This dac is very carefuly made out of vintage parts that have been chosen through listening tests, so understandably, he has chosen the best sounding input in spdif.

The issue is that at least for a while, I will be streaming from tidal from my phone or iPad, so would be a usb cable.

are there any pocket freindly usb to spdif converters that would sound okay and not cancel out all the great work done in this dac?

I’ve had loads and unfortunately like everything is that you get what you pay for....cheaper ones sound dog rough, get up to c.£350-400 mark and they’re acceptable. The good ones are stunning but you’re looking at £500-£1000.

One of these is what I use for a Mac mini USB to Rega DAC optical

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0023BYDHK/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I honestly can't tell you how it compares to anything else but I like the sounds I get through it better than straight optical or USB, it got good reviews, does DAC, ADC and is a headphone amp too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That looks interesting and worth a punt at £26. Been using a Schiit Eitr in place of my better old one but the Eitr is Schiit in comparison!

Some of the 'cheap ones' don't sound rubbish. This one for instance:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=224043137028

It turned up yesterday. I struggled with the assembly last night after a fairly long and arduous day, but when I looked again today it all became clear. The fittings were different from the picture but it only took about 5 minutes to assemble.
I can't say if it sounds any good though as I'm pretty deaf at the moment and awaiting a visit to the audiologist.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hope you'll be happy with it, Steve, - I purchased one when I had the same dilemma as you and asked Colin Yollop of Chevron Audio what he would recommend (I have a lot of time for Colin as an engineer as his DAC design and work on older dpa DACs is first rate). Many go for expensive equipment with equally expensive (and unnecessary) PSUs but in this instance the chip set is what is important. I'd be interested to know what you think when your audiologist has done what is necessary!

advertisement

Back