advertisement

A week in Vancouver BC

James

Lord of the Erg\o/s
I'm speaking at a conference in downtown Vancouver in July, and will have some free time and a weekend there. Are there any record shops worth visiting to fill my 2 x 23kg baggage allowance?

I'd be grateful for tips, insights and ideas on how I can make the most of my first visit to this charming and picturesque Canadian city.

James

James, you're in for a treat. I was only there for a meeting; flew up and back same day, spending just one day in the town. Thankfully my boss was a local, and played host and tour guide for the day. I do remember Kitsilano as being funky and fun, with a little polish, good restaurants and bars. We spent a bit of time there.

Vancouver is known as one of the few cities where one can play a round of golf, ski, and sail - all in the same day. to be fair, probably not so much skiing in July!

enjoy, sounds like a great opportunity. I have always intended to return.

Lovely city, stunning setting, should be good weather, lovely people who seem to have a good handle on how to enjoy life & help visitors do likewise.
One of my fave destinations.
Matt.

A few thoughts...

Food:
Nook : Italian lite, http://nookrestaurant.ca/?page_id=78 , I like the Kitsilano location, apparently there is one downtown. Very popular with the local’s.

Cardero’s : Sea food on the water with nice view, downtown, https://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos

Sushi: almost one on every city block, everyone in town has their own favourite. Perennial favourite and expensive: Tojo’s on Broadway ( http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/27/t...ht-in-vancouver-s-firmament.html?pagewanted=2 , ignore text on Lumiere it is sadly gone ). Best on someone else’s tab. (Two friends from London ate dinner there, albeit they put themselves “at the mercy” of Tojo himself, 250 pounds!)

Indian: Vij’s very nice ( http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/02/travel/02choice.html ) but expect a line, Rangoli next door ( also Vij’s) more casual and easier to get in, both on South Granville

If out on Granville Island: 1. Bridges, on the water, great view, food so-so to ok, 2. out on the patio at the Granville Island Hotel, good food, great view, quite and less touristy

The Boathouse: overlooking Kitsilano (known locally as ‘Kits”) beach, food ok-good, view very nice

Simon

If you have some spare time....

Run or walk or bike (rentals at north end of Denman street downtown close to the sea wall) the sea wall, around Stanley Park. Got more time on your hands ?... continue out along the water front via Yaletown, Science World, by the Olympic Village, along False Creek waterfront, around the perimeter of Granville Island (stop for coffee or a snack), continue west along the seawall to Kitsilano Beach and keep heading west along the water front and some quiet waterside bike only streets out to the Spanish banks (more beaches) and UBC. Bikes can be put on the front of some buses to take you back towards downtown (99b express bus from UBC along Broadway back to Granville, then bike back over the bridge to downtown). You will need a large cold beer after that!

Simon

Want a quick round of golf?

Attractive par 3 golf course in Stanley Park, (busy with tourists). Rental clubs at kiosk. Loads of flowers, course a bit tightly planned but nice.

Stunning par 3 golf course in Queen Eliz. Park, beautiful views, well constructed course, holes usually around 75-120m, proper greens. Popular with the locals. easy walk from Canada Line transit from downtown. Rental clubs at kiosk.

Both are very close to downtown.

Like mountains?

Bus or drive to Squamish (1 hrish) up the sea-to-sky highway, gondola or hike to top, http://www.seatoskygondola.com/ Recommended: view, hiking, shuttle to Vancouver

squamish_zpsb4eeh5vf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bus or drive up to Whistler (1-2 hrs, 1hr past Squamish). Gondola open during the summer. Wicked mountain biking down the mountain! Exceptionally busy and happening spot during the summer with bikers. Squamish gondola

Hiking?

Trails everywhere. Whistler (personal favourite, the Singing Pass trail 25km, mildly uphill, ends at the Round house upper gondola station, ride gondola back down after beer, gondola usually open late on Sat nights) Squamish, West Van (North shore of city). One of my favourites, good choice for relatives/friends visiting town: Lighthouse park in West Van (north shore).

Personal pet peeve: Avoid the often recommended "Grouse Grind", it's a long boring waste of time.

Want to go to the beach? (these are West Coast North American beaches not Cancun, ie, don't expect pristine white sandy beaches):

Kitsilano: close to downtown, good ammenities (food, change rooms, nice public tennis courts, basketball, play ground), palm trees!,can be very busy on weekends. Spectacular 135 meter (yes, 135m no typo) outdoor pool ( no affiliation to company just for photos http://www.kitscondos.ca/kits-kitsilano-beach-pool-waterfront-recreation )
Spanish Banks: further out west, nicer sand, lovely city/mountain views, quieter.
English bay: on the edge of downtown, busy, least favourite .

Want to rent a boat?

Small power boats available from the foot of the Granville island access.
Dingy sail boats: Jericho sailing club, just east of the Spanish banks beach.
Big sail boats: one or two places on Granville island, west end close to Bridges restaurant.

Touristy things:

Capilano suspension bridge, a big rip off. Alternative: free similar bridge in Lynn valley near by with nice park/trails.

Aquarium: nice if you like aquariums, good if you have kids with you. Good also in the rain.

Science world: mixed reviews, great for kids on a rainy day.

Grouse mountain. OK

The sad thing is that Vancouver city centre is now covered with pointless and ugly high rise buildings. A classic example of how easy it is to ruin ( or nearly) a lovely location.

Bus or drive up to Whistler (1-2 hrs, 1hr past Squamish). Gondola open during the summer. Wicked mountain biking down the mountain! Exceptionally busy and happening spot during the summer with bikers. Squamish gondola
Took the tourist train from North Vancouver station to Squamish (IIRC) full day trip with lumber jack & lumber jill demonstrations for all to see. I can remember cracking views and images from the top of a snow covered mount.

Check on the net to see if such delights are still on offer.

Thanks all, especially Simon, for a long list of things that I can do. My culinary choices are sorted, and I just need to figure out if I have the luxury of time to wander beyond the city limits. I'm still on "company time", but should have a couple of full days of "my time" to fit some of the choices in.

I should probably blow the dust off my Pentax DSLR and bring a couple of lenses with me to capture some nice Vancouver scenery.

What's wrong with Victoria Island?

We had 4 days to 'waste' in Vancouver but it turned out that we could have done with a week! Buy a two day ticket for the hop-on-hop-off trolley bus and see the sites. Gas town is a gas! Its even got a mini big ben thats driven by steam. Even the 'chimes' are steam whistles. Have a bite in China town. The trolley will take you to all the sites and parks and also give you a discount for the Grouse mountain coach. If lucky you'll see the bears and the lumberjack show on the mountain was much better than it sounds.

Also take a trip up the Vancouver Lookout to get a birds eye view and stand on the glass floor if you dare.

Victoria Island is essentially boring and wastes a lot of time getting there.

We were fortunate as we went with the Rocky Mountaineer and they gave us a wad of coupons so we did most for free!

Cheers,

DV

Re Victoria

Nitty gritty: low yield, big time commitment.

Some think it is quaint, others contrived and dull.

SA

Did all that in Vancouver in 2012......and Victoria...then hired a car and drove up to Sun Peaks, Whistler, Jasper and Banff.

I hated it...

Can't say I'd rush back.

advertisement

Back