advertisement

A to D Converter

I can't imagine not having a computer in the same room as my music system.

I use my desktop computer (surprise, surprise) at a desk, with a printer, HDDs and similar peripherals. I can't imagine having a desk in the music room, nor in any other room than the spare bedroom we've designated 'the study' ...

I just take the laptop into the music room, place it on a little low table in front of the equipment racks and connect it up to the Terratec's USB socket. Once you've finished recording you can move the laptop anywhere else you like to do the track splits and naming. Once you have the hang of it, it's really easy.

Results are much better than via the Pioneer PDR-609 - so much so that I sold the Pioneer as it just wasn't needed anymore.

Another alternative option might be a portable digital recorder such as the Sony PCM-M10 or similar. The usual limitation with these is the quality of the A to D convertor but the Sony is one of the better ones out there.

The big difference with the later 609 was an even better A2D.

Nic P

The trouble with these Pioneers, though, is that they won't work with 'regular' CDRs - you need the specific 'audio' discs, because of the copy-protect features in the machine. These are more expensive.

I just take the laptop into the music room, place it on a little low table in front of the equipment racks and connect it up to the Terratec's USB socket. Once you've finished recording you can move the laptop anywhere else you like to do the track splits and naming. Once you have the hang of it, it's really easy.

yup, or just stick on the floor - which is what also I do when playing digitised music, either ripped cd's, downloads or ripped vinyl, what with me having a USB dac as well as a turntable. I suspect that I am not the only one.

Connectivity is another consideration - assuming the OP will be taking a line-level out from the Tape Out on an amplifier, or from a phono stage, the recording device or ADC needs to have a matching line-level input.

Could the OP advise the current equipment in use ... ?

There is a hack for the 609 .. stick in a "audio" cdr blank, let the machine read it, then manually pull the tray out with a fingernail and put in a normal CDR and close the tray..

Thanks everyone for these responses -- even a DIY opportunity! -- plenty to think about.
In response to formbypc I plan to use Linn LP12,Ittok,Asaka (little old so may replace with Denon DL103R) into Naim 62 and record at line level. "Playback" via either Netbook running foobar or Raspberry Pi running raspbmc. MP3s for the car via either current Ford audio system or via Sansa clip into the aux of a Sony head unit
Regards,
Steve

PC would be a Dell laptop that usually resides in my office/den but I'd take it to the main hifi in the living room. I could use the system in the office but I don't think a Sansui SR-222 is probably up to the job.
Avole -- I have considered the Rega unit but its only MM and don't fancy using an old Ortofon step up transformer.
I've e-mailed Uwe about his units -- I feel a project coming on!
Steve

advertisement

Back