advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjoyed Master of None and it's been commissioned for another season too.

I've just started watching Orange is the New Black, which is excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started watching Mad Dogs. It's.... actually pretty good.

[Edit: my bad, we're watching it on Prime, not Netflix]

In my desperation to find a sci-fi series I can watch while I work out, I've started in on Torchwood. I'm 5.5 episodes in and...

...can it really be this bad? How? How can it be so bad? I'm struggling to understand how it happened.

I really enjoyed Narcos, brilliant script and acting. I watched the very first episode of Red Dwarf last night and I'd forgotten just how good it was.

No more slim pickings at Netflix. "Dr Strangelove" and "The Russians are Coming x2" have landed. Is there a better Beatles cover ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched Dr Strangelove last night. Brilliant! The awful thing is, you do get the feeling the American military is actually populated with warmongering redneck generals.

In a completely unintentional manner I've signed up for an Amazon Prime free trial. I just clicked the wrong button when selecting the postage for a couple of SD cards, which I guess is how they get a lot of punters. I was actually planning to try it at some point, so I've cancelled Netflix as the last couple of times I logged in I couldn't actually find anything I wanted to watch. So, what is lurking on Prime that I need to see?

PS I've not even tried it yet, I'm assuming I can AirPlay from the Amazon app on my iPad to the Apple TV and therefore my TV, if not I'm a bit screwed!

tony.

have you seen the comedy "catastrophe"? i believe that is an amazon production.

vuk.

Watched "Cooked" last night - no recipes, but a cultural overview of how we are attracted to fire (good segment on aboriginal lifestyles) and how cooked food has helped the development of the brain in evolutionary terms. Next prog is about the use of water in the prep of food.

I watched Dallas Buyers Club on Prime last night. I'd not seen it at the cinema. It won Oscars for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor. Deservedly so IMO.

netflix - if you enjoyed 'Kick Ass' then have a go with 'Super' - came out the same year but a different film in soo many ways. It has become a favourite of this year. stunning - shocking and very human. Oh yeah, very funny too. The wife thought it would be crap, turns out she loved it. DO NOT read it up beforehand, it will spoil it.

Currently watching and enjoying the show 'Love' with Paul Rust, Gillian Jacobs on Netflix. Also the Australian series 'Dreamland' was hilarious - I never thought a planning department could be so funny!

Another recommendation for Master of None (Netflix). It is a superb comedy starring and written by Aziz Ansari about modern life for a would-be actor. It is clever with great characters and very funny, so much so that it could be the best comedy since Arrested Development.

Watched Dr Strangelove last night. Brilliant! The awful thing is, you do get the feeling the American military is actually populated with warmongering redneck generals.

I disagree. I think there's a lot of chickenhawk warmongers in the senate and congress mainly republican and I think senior US military are too "can do" but I haven't got the feeling that senior US military are itching for fights, and certainly not warmongers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back