advertisement

A surprising vintage

Del monaco

Del Monaco
I’ve been helping my son with his first hifi set up recently. He’s enjoying it but currently uses an old Onkyo AV receiver as amp. I recently acquired a Denon 250 mk3 from the Bay for him and tested it in my Maggies set up. What a surprise. What a nice little amp it is. Surprisingly it powers the Maggies well, has very good detail and is a solid little all rounder. Very pleased and I’m sure he’ll be pleased with it as well! It’s great what you can get for a few quid.

Having a similar experience with a nice used Ion Obelisk 2. Have put together a quite respectable cd playback system for use in the railway hobby room for £300.

Apparently it has higher current than the previous models so that may explain its aptitude with the Maggie LSRs.

I’ll try it hooked up to the sub today.I’m surprised, but not at the same time. I have vintage kit that cost me very little but gave me great satisfaction.

I’m trying to convince him to take a Creek tuner and Marantz Cassette deck I have stored in the house.I’m determined I am not ‘last generation’. He’s loving vinyl.

advertisement

Back