advertisement

A salutary warning

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7551176.stm

Seems a fair punishment for playing U2 so the neighbours can hear the lyrics. Maybe a spell in prison?

I recall living under a flat where the owner played Bat Out Of Hell every sunday morning. And one neighbour set up a party, midweek, with trance in the lounge and a live band in the back room. In a small 1930s 3 bedroom semi. I was the other semi: I had to get up at 7 for work and the kids had school. By 4 am I was on their doorstep holding a baseball bat, having failed to get environmental health to come round despite playing the music down the phone to them.

So keep that music turned down you people!

Kevin

I was a pain in the arse with music when younger. Having an even bigger pain as a neighbour for a period soon cured me of that, however.

The reasons why people play excessively loud music are interesting and must be many and varied. I have a few theories:

* Basic attention seeking - 'hey listen to my my super equipment/taste in music'

* Territorial marking - 'my power extends over the audible range of this sound'

* Just to annoy people

I'm sure there are others...

I'd also suggest it can also be hedonistic: certain things sound better loud. Like Cher. When I know my family and neighbours are out I often sling on something like The Groundhogs "Split" or a Stooges album and crank it up. It doesn't sound as good at polite volumes -there's a physical pleasure from the volume. Being a middle aged and respectful member of the community I do, however, usually play these on headphones.

I've found that fighting fire with fire is the only real way to make people aware of the disturbance they are causing.

Back when I lived in a small upstairs flat in Exeter, my downstairs neighbour was a single mother on benefits who'd dump her kid off at her parents every Wednesday and Saturday night while her and her apelike boyfriend went out and painted the town a bright shade of whatever they'd eaten a couple of hours before washing it down with copious bottles of WKD. They'd stumble back to the flat around 3am and then blast Joss Stone until about 6:00 when they'd finally pass out. This got worse and worse and it became quite apparent that they were simply doing it to annoy the other residence when they'd announce their arrival by standing out in the corridor shouting "Woooooooooo" at the top of their voices.

In hindsight I let them get away with it for far too long. I just snapped one Wednesday night after they invited a load of friends back with them and made more noise than ever. I waited for them all to pass out at around 6:00 as usual and then put my speakers face down on the living room floor and gave them a good dosing of Aphex Twin's "Chosen Lords" as loud as I could possibly stand it. They had the cheek to bang on the ceiling to start off with so I knew it was working. I left it playing while I was at work that day and kept on playing the same album every night at the same volume for the next week.

Not only did it work, she moved out a couple of weeks later and I got some nice neighbours in to replace her.

I recall living under a flat where the owner played Bat Out Of Hell every sunday morning.

Consider yourself lucky. When I had my first own apartment a neighbour insisted on playing Bachara (a 1970's hyper commercial pretend to be disco 'group') all the time. I hated them even before that...

JohanR

* Basic attention seeking - 'hey listen to my my super equipment/taste in music'

* Territorial marking - 'my power extends over the audible range of this sound'

* Just to annoy people

I'm sure there are others...

Plain selfishness and lack of respect for others would seem most likely to me.

Consider yourself lucky. When I had my first own apartment a neighbour insisted on playing Bachara (a 1970's hyper commercial pretend to be disco 'group') all the time. I hated them even before that...

JohanR

I'll take "Yes sir I can boogie" over any of Joss Stone's output any day.

As mentioned earlier its just the general lack of respect folks have for other people.

That and a modern lack of understanding of consequence. As kids are not 'physically' punished at school anymore they have no concept of how far they can push something before all hell breaks lose on them. I knew if things went too far I would get a good hiding. That stopped me and made me think "If I do that then this or that could happen..."

Kids/young folks don't think like that. They just do it. When it does finally go tits up for them then its everyones fault but theirs.

Breeze block walls between houses have a lot to answer for.

The original story is just chilling though. Can you imagine some group of apes from the council ripping out all your records and HiFi that you've spent years and years building up and trashing them into some landfill? :eek:

advertisement

Back