advertisement

A&R A60 upgrade.

Im single system only nowadays so I have not listened to it for years - I remember thinking it sounded much better afterwards, but that was in a second system with some efficient speakers; I’ll likely only try it again when one of my daughters wants a system (unlikely given their happiness with ear buds) or I can afford a larger place to live. I never tried it with my ESL63s, but do not imagine it has enough grunt to bring them alive.

I'm going to do some minor work as per the Roberts guide to one of these but I am now seriously considering buying a Cambridge Audio CXA60 for the home system.

I'm going to do some minor work as per the Roberts guide to one of these but I am now seriously considering buying a Cambridge Audio CXA60 for the home system.
Sometimes confused with A&R Cambridge ( Arcam ) but these days Cambridge Audio are definitely another hifi separates company. Some nice products though - I used to have one of their Tuners ( sold it on ) and a DAC Magic ( also moved along).
The CXA60 has more outputs and power grunt than the old faithful A60 and you should also find some of that "British" sound when listening. Good luck :)

Anyone going to try this and report on their findings then? I expect a very worthwhile improvement. You can ideally solder a short wire across the speaker fuse holders or as a quick try out make sure the fuse holders are clean and tight and fit much bigger fuses like 5A or more and if you like the result then go for soldering across fuse holder.
Hi,
I’ve recently been loaned an A60 which has been in my mates loft for over 10 years and it sounds just great with my also recently purchased JR149s. There’s just a bit of noise when using the vol/bal controls.

It’s important I point out I’m really really hopeless where electronics are concerned so I’m hoping for a little advice.
I reckon I’ll be able to get the case off, so:

If looking from the front which are the 2 fuses which can be exchanged for higher value fuses 5/13 Amp? (will any old working household fuse do the job to get the improvements you suggest?)

Also in an attempt to stop the noise, (only heard when using the switches) and whilst I have the case off, do I get some switch cleaner and use it on the inside of the control switches as opposed to squirting it in from the front.

If the amp belonged to me I’d probably have someone do the fuse bypassing for me but at this stage, just advice regarding the above would be great.

Thanks….Dave.

a) Don’t go replacing the fuses in someone else’s amp!

b) Have a look on YouTube for where to squirt contact cleaner into a pot, and only use a proper contact cleaner designed for the purpose e.g. Deoxit, Servisol etc (do not use WD40 or anything like that as it is a temporary fix and will damage the pot long term). It only takes a little squirt into the slot in the back of the pot, then move it through its full range several times and it should be fine.

Hi,
I’ve recently been loaned an A60 which has been in my mates loft for over 10 years and it sounds just great with my also recently purchased JR149s. There’s just a bit of noise when using the vol/bal controls...

Turn the knobs backwards and forwards about 20 times across their range and see if the noise goes, if not squirt with a little deoxit and repeat

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the advice, I do have a can of Servisol so I’ll have a try with it.

Regarding the fuses….I fully accept your response but I wasn’t too clear when describing it as being loaned. My mate won’t take any payment for the amp, he doesn’t want it back and to all intents and purposes I’m the new owner. Nevertheless, he’s a good mate and I’d not wish to report back to him that I’d blown it up, so I will heed your advice anyway…..thanks.

Cheers…..Dave

My mate won’t take any payment for the amp, he doesn’t want it back and to all intents and purposes I’m the new owner. Nevertheless, he’s a good mate and I’d not wish to report back to him that I’d blown it up, so I will heed your advice anyway…..thanks.

To be honest I’d just leave it be regardless, especially if it hasn’t had a proper full rebuild/restoration. It’s an old amp and the last thing you want is a capacitor failure or whatever to take your JR149s out. I’m exceptionally careful about what I connect to my speakers (especially the Tannoys!), and I’d happily take a barely audible performance hit over risk. The A60 is a great amp that has stood the test of time IMO, I’d take one over a lot of modern kit in stock but serviced form.

Yes, I couldn’t agree more really. I’ve managed to cure the noisy pots already by just removing the knobs as they’re just held on by a grub screw. (I mentioned electronics isn’t my thing, I didn’t even realise I could do it without taking the whole case off).

Next job is to get the Falcon recap kit fitted (which I’ve ordered) to the 149s, something which I certainly won’t be able to do but I’ll go over to that thread to see if somebody will take it on for me.

Once again, thanks for your advice.

Hi,
I’ve recently been loaned an A60 which has been in my mates loft for over 10 years and it sounds just great with my also recently purchased JR149s. There’s just a bit of noise when using the vol/bal controls.

It’s important I point out I’m really really hopeless where electronics are concerned so I’m hoping for a little advice.
I reckon I’ll be able to get the case off, so:

If looking from the front which are the 2 fuses which can be exchanged for higher value fuses 5/13 Amp? (will any old working household fuse do the job to get the improvements you suggest?)

Also in an attempt to stop the noise, (only heard when using the switches) and whilst I have the case off, do I get some switch cleaner and use it on the inside of the control switches as opposed to squirting it in from the front.

If the amp belonged to me I’d probably have someone do the fuse bypassing for me but at this stage, just advice regarding the above would be great.

Thanks….Dave.

If you don't know which fuses to bypass (with wire soldered across the fuse holders or underneath) then leave it alone.

Very late ones were modified to include the fuse in the feedback loop and shouldn't show any improvement from removing the fuses.

If you don't know which fuses to bypass (with wire soldered across the fuse holders or underneath) then leave it alone.

Very late ones were modified to include the fuse in the feedback loop and shouldn't show any improvement from removing the fuses.
That would be an easy mod, wouldn’t it?

Talking about A60 mods, as trouble is my middle name, would there be any components working (too much) out of spec tapping the 240v primary on the 220v transformer tap instead (hence giving +10% voltage on the secondaries. I.e. from +35-0-35V to about 40-0-40V.. I'd be only +5% out of spec as I am on 230V)?
I reckon the phono section and the pre section would be safe anyway after the +15/-15V LM317/337 regulators, all the caps in case of service could be substituted with 50V spec or above.. but what about the amp section?

Talking about A60 mods, as trouble is my middle name, would there be any components working (too much) out of spec tapping the 240v primary on the 220v transformer tap instead (hence giving +10% voltage on the secondaries. I.e. from +35-0-35V to about 40-0-40V.. I'd be only +5% out of spec as I am on 230V)?
I reckon the phono section and the pre section would be safe anyway after the +15/-15V LM317/337 regulators, all the caps in case of service could be substituted with 50V spec or above.. but what about the amp section?

It would probably be OK but I would suggest erring on the side of caution. It would only give maybe another 3 - 4W ish but there would be a tiny increase in risk of blowing output transistors under VERY heavy use.
It would still only be operating under conditions it was designed to tolerate of course as sometimes UK mains can rise to 245V and more.

advertisement

Back