advertisement

A&R A60 left channel less loud

Yes check the output on both switched and direct. The switched out may run through the headphone socket which could cause issues which you won’t see on the direct outs.

Just realised the left hand speaker cable runs very close to the mains extension lead with 5 plugs in it, also an Ethernet cable, will this make a difference. The cable is QED 79 strand.Thank you.

Just realised the left hand speaker cable runs very close to the mains extension lead with 5 plugs in it, also an Ethernet cable, will this make a difference. The cable is QED 79 strand.Thank you.
No
If the speakers are on direct swap to switched to try

I’ve had this. Try pushing all the switches in & out several times & turning the pots end to end likewise. With any luck it’ll work for you as it has for me.

No, I meant the amp. Which outputs are you using, switched or direct? Did you try 'phones with mono source? If that was fine then unlikely to be the amp. Probably needs the switches cleaning, particularly those on the headphone circuit.
@Operajulian
a.palfreyman - thanks for mentioning me.
Reading this thread made me realize that it's over five years since I last opened up an A&R A60 amp. I used have at least one of them on the bench being modified/upgraded.

The notes and tips already posted here are pretty much what I would have said.

1: Check the bias across r68 and r168. Try to get them as close as one can around 8mV. The old phifer one turn pots to adjust this are terrible. Worth replacing with Bourns multi-turn.
2: Check the output transistor(s) on the heatsink and the feedback transistors next to them. Might have to unsolder them and test out of circuit.
( Mind you some would say this is unnecessary to test these if you are getting voltage from the speaker terminals. )
3: Clean the volume pot and balance pots - unlikely to need replacing - though if the amp is being worked on might as well. If they are already changed to Alps or similar standard it is really unlikely to fail.
4: Have a visual check for dry joints - working one's way through the circuit diagram. Last resort and like searching for the holy grail sometimes.
In more than 20 or so A60 - I have only found a dry solder joint once...Brenda and many othere did a good job checking - see factory label inside.

Hope the replacement balance pot in your other thread works out.

Keep listening and happy Easter.
Julian

Last edited:

advertisement

Back