advertisement

A question for PFM’s furniture restorers and upholsterers...

Eugene

Identity crisis...
Anyone recognise these spring-loaded metal pins and know where I can source a couple?

51078000243_4c17c6be92.jpg

They’re from late-60s vintage dining chairs (made by Bath Cabinet Makers?) and hold the chair-backs in place, allowing them to pivot. Unfortunately, a couple gave up the ghost after I leant on them!

Google hasn’t helped so far – the nearest things I can find are plastic pins for louvre blinds, but they look way-too flimsy. I’ve also tried ringing a few local (Surrey) antique furniture places but drew a blank with that too. Fixing the backs in place is an option but as a last resort, as it'll probably require a bit of butchery to the chairs themselves - so any alternative suggestions welcomed.

These, in countless versions, are used for many things, not just furniture. Whether you'll find a suitable replacment is another question entirely.
If you know the make of the furniture, maybe search by that?

At a push, they may be repairable - how have they failed?

Thanks for the replies. They don't look repairable but then I'm completely useless at this type of diy - and fabricating something is out of the question for the same reasons of incompetence!

The links are much appreciated - plenty of new terms to search on so I'll hopefully find something of the right dimensions.

An extra search term would be "dog" as a blind round pin to locate anything is known as a dog, although I did try that..................

Post a pic' of a failed one - I would bet that they are repairable..........................

It won't be spring loaded so you will lose the ability to retract it, I imagine that this allows you to adjust the position of part of it, but if you were prepared to lose this a simple dowel would replace the clip shown. You can buy that and cut it to lemgth.

It won't be spring loaded so you will lose the ability to retract it, I imagine that this allows you to adjust the position of part of it, but if you were prepared to lose this a simple dowel would replace the clip shown.

Yes, but probably the worse-case option as dowels will need some drilling out of the chair frames that I'm hoping to avoid (see above re: competence).

So how have they failed? They look like very sturdy sealed units, is there a spring inside that’s broken. Maybe somebody would offer to repair them with a bit more info.

So how have they failed? They look like very sturdy sealed units, is there a spring inside that’s broken. Maybe somebody would offer to repair them with a bit more info.
That's a good point, a bit of WD40 and some wiggling might work out of they are just gummed up.

Given that they failed when leant on, a broken spring seems very unlikely.

I suspect that the pin has "ripped" out of the body/spring-holder.

The belief is that they are around 50-60 years old, from when plastic widgets were as much confined to Christmas crackers as anything else, and metalworking was still very largely king.

I suspect that the pin has "ripped" out of the body/spring-holder.

Absolutely that - you can just make out the top of the cylinder is distorted enough to not keep the pin in place.
51081676411_8147ded577_w.jpg

Thanks for all the responses so far - if nothing else, it's having an effect on my Google searches and the ads I'm now getting served up!

It is repirable, but how easily depends on size.

It has done very, very well to last with such a small flange on the sprung-loaded pin/dog - a reflection of how well it was designed and made. New, it probably cost nigh on exactly what a plastic one costs today - so maybe something like 10x the price today.

Now excitedly Google searching for "press-fit spring plungers" - 2021 really exceeding expectations here...

advertisement

Back