advertisement

A question about Netgear Powerlines

Bob McC

Living the life of Riley
I put two Netgear Powerline 500s in. One from the Virgin super hub, one to my LG tv.

This coincided with such a crackling racket coming through my phono input that I thought my Prefix was buggered.

Took out the Powerlines and phono is as quiet as a quiet thing.

Does the team think there is a connection or is it coincidence?

It looks as if your powerline 500s are sharing the same mains ring as the hifi. This is adding a lot of electrical noise that's affecting sound quality. Try using the powerlines on a separate ring and check sound quality again.

Powerlines are known to put a massive amount of electrical noise into your mains, so no, it's not in the least bit surprising that your phono stage, which carries an absolutely tiny electrical signal, is sensitive to them. Get a proper Cat5e wired network, and you'll have a happy phono stage, and quite possibly a better internet connection too.

+1 x100 Whatsisnaim, EoP should be banned, they intro noise & crap on the mains of both your property & your neighbours, to say nothing about the noise on your network

I put two Netgear Powerline 500s in. One from the Virgin super hub, one to my LG tv.

This coincided with such a crackling racket coming through my phono input that I thought my Prefix was buggered.

Took out the Powerlines and phono is as quiet as a quiet thing.

Does the team think there is a connection or is it coincidence?

Its due to the "Data" transmission used by the powerlines - I have the same units in my Lab and need to unplug them when make very high performance measurements.

You can try streaming say a Youtube video and you will hear the noise increase - related to the data throughput.

Thanks folks.
The TV works fine wirelessly.
I'm just glad it isn't the prefix needing an expensive repair!

Given that you've demonstrated that your phono setup is quite sensitive to power line noise, and you have a reproducible test environment, it may be worth working on improving it anyway.

A Naim based phono setup I used to use would receive Radio Free Taiwan unless it was plugged into the cooker spur.

Paul

My HiFi is on a dedicated radial from the consumer units. I have a Virgin hub that was not giving enough signal in various parts of the house, but was concerned about adding EoP because of possible noise. I brought a couple of Develo units and did a careful with and without comparison paying particular attention to my two different phono inputs, both with a record playing and without, the volume fully up. Both my phono inputs (one via an SUT) are very low noise, I need to have my ear close to the tweeters to hear any noise). I do not use any mains filtering. I could not hear any increase in noise or interference.

Perhaps any detrimental problems with these are mains quality or system dependant? I suppose if you need the extra range and can't run lengths of ethernet cable then as JohnW you could just unplug them when listening?

My HiFi is on a dedicated radial from the consumer units. I have a Virgin hub that was not giving enough signal in various parts of the house, but was concerned about adding EoP because of possible noise. I brought a couple of Develo units and did a careful with and without comparison paying particular attention to my two different phono inputs, both with a record playing and without, the volume fully up. Both my phono inputs (one via an SUT) are very low noise, I need to have my ear close to the tweeters to hear any noise). I do not use any mains filtering. I could not hear any increase in noise or interference.

Perhaps any detrimental problems with these are mains quality or system dependant? I suppose if you need the extra range and can't run lengths of ethernet cable then as JohnW you could just unplug them when listening?

A reputable hi-fi dealer has recommended Devolo (1200 not 500) as being the only ones worth using. And no, he does not sell them.

advertisement

Back