advertisement

A Pro-Audio Industry Disaster: AKM Factory Fire

Yes, when you can supply world demand from 3-4batches per month and to a JIT market, there's no incentive to run from more than a single fab. Yes, you can move production to a different fab but it's a lot of work.
Critical parts may be qualified for production at a different fab and ready to be switched on in 6wks but who's going to pay for that contingency?
We used to supply a sensor maker with chips for braking systems and when we had a fire it quickly dried up the supply. Got around it by sending partially fabbed wafers for some layers out to other suppliers but that was not a big fire like AKM.

Do you work at semefab?

I thought this thread was another pro-audio-sound-shite one...

I already has a plenty of DAC's at home, several that's not even in use. So, where is the problem? Everybody just hold on to what they have or must the pro world buy new gear every time they are making a new recording? Yeah, I knew some of us HiFi-folks buy new gear more often than software to play on it, but we are certified crazy...

Usually the pro audio world has to throw out it's kit every time someone forces a new operating system. Soundcards and A-D are software menu driven and they are deliberately incompatible at an ever increasing rate. Many have kept good old interfaces as long as crapple, linux or XP were available, but they are at the mercy of IT failure. You can't reinstall XP legally because it won't work without registering it, even if you previously paid for it. Same forced obsolescence for crapple hardware.

advertisement

Back