advertisement

A PFM catalogue of photographers we all should know.

Jeanloup Sieff (file under Fashion/Portrait)

https://www.jeanloupsieff.com/photos.php

16.jpg

So, if I understand correctly, the next step is to establish a certain, fixed, number of categories. Then when one wants to suggest a name, the name will be followed by the category, or categories, which reflect that photographer's work.

Do I understand correctly?

As it stands, yes Paul. I’m happy to wait a few days as suggested in case other PFM photographers want a say in this discussion.

I've been thinking about this for a few days and, sorry if I'm tedious and repetitive Rockmeister, I'm worried about the categories. Took down a book of photos by Karl Blossfeldt. He was a 19th century photographer of plants, for academic catalogues, research institutes, universities, etc. But he was such a wonderful craftsman, had such an eye for the beauty in his subjects, that today he is something of a legend, and art/photography collectors will pay a fortune for an original print. His photos are now seen as "art" (whatever that means) as are, say, Weston's vegetables and nudes or Irving Penn's portraits or still lifes.

So one could list Blossfeldt as:

Blossfeldt (1865 - 1932) - Plants, Scientific, Macro, Still Life.

And, say, Bill Brandt as:

Bill Brandt (1904 - 1983) - Documentary, Portrait, Nudes, Landscape, Abstract.

I think what we should perhaps steer away from is definitions like "fine art" and "conceptual," which are both subjective and pretty meaningless.

Just another thought. Ansel Adams, who I believe invented the idea of "fine art" photography because he was so incredibly meticulous in his techniques, was really a landscape photographer. So he could be listed as:

Ansel Adams (********) - Lansdcape.

I was just waiting for the water to warm a little :) But since there’s not enough flame to heat it, I do feel that the amount of work I’d need to do to run such a catalogue would be out of proportion to it’s use here. I think that Google is the preferred method of the large majority of photographers here and in all honesty, it probably has several such catalogues already available. So yes, the fire is out and the water cold I’m afraid.

I am unable to contribute to this endeavour I have no specific knowledge to help, however I think it's a real shame it has floundered so quickly as I much enjoy the photographs posted on the forum and searched out examples from some of the suggested names.

Many people enjoy the photos posted here, me included. How about a kind of watered down version to start, if some of those who post would be kind enough to list some of their favourite photographers with links? I understand that's not what you had in mind...

I was just waiting for the water to warm a little :) But since there’s not enough flame to heat it, I do feel that the amount of work I’d need to do to run such a catalogue would be out of proportion to it’s use here. I think that Google is the preferred method of the large majority of photographers here and in all honesty, it probably has several such catalogues already available. So yes, the fire is out and the water cold I’m afraid.

I think trying to create a comprehensive database that has categories (or classifications) for each photographer is a significant undertaking. It might be better just to have an informal thread, where posts are put in by members naming a photographer, a brief desciption, categories and links. Although this is not a definitive resource it would fit well with the relaxed nature of the Photo room. If posts were limited to a single photographer rather than a list of photograhers I think it would help, and perhaps we could get a post a week into the thread form a number of contributors which then people can dip into and explore.

I am very happy with any other idea. I think I overthought the original concept and it became cumbersome.

However i do think still, that in use, whatever resource exists, it does need at least some, very basic, categories.
I'm think as a user, looking for inspiration. I'm sure i would at least, have in mind that I was interested in 'landscape', or 'portraits' and want to be able to find those photographers fairly easily.
Any idea that incorporated the idea that the contributor should provide:
a link
one example pic (small)
and a brief description of the work (inc the subject matter)
would get my vote.

Maybe I could start such a thread and ask Tony to make it a sticky?

What about just an alphabetical data base? For example:

Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984) - Landscape.

Richard Avedon (1923 - 2004) - Fashion, portraits.

As readers contribute names, they are added to the list, perhaps by Rockmeister, who checks the name is not there already. Then one could run down the list and Google those names that one does not know, or those that ring a bell, or for whatever reason arouse curiosity. If I were interested in landscape, say, I would run down the list and look at those whose field includes "landscape."

What about just an alphabetical data base? For example:

Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984) - Landscape.

Richard Avedon (1923 - 2004) - Fashion, portraits.

As readers contribute names, they are added to the list, perhaps by Rockmeister, who checks the name is not there already. Then one could run down the list and Google those names that one does not know, or those that ring a bell, or for whatever reason arouse curiosity. If I were interested in landscape, say, I would run down the list and look at those whose field includes "landscape."
That’s pretty much you idea from post 17, so why not you just take it on? My reply to you would be equally repetitive:)
Seriously Paul, why not crack on and do it?
I’m perfectly happy for someone else to do the work :)

No, no. It is your idea, and a very good one. Also, I'm hopeless with computers and would make a mess of it. All I can contribute is, like everyone else, names of photographers whom I think/hope might interest others on PFM. I will, of course, do so even if you decide on a different formula.

Terrible idea:) I have little of it and anyway, prefer the idea of an anarchist syndicalist commune:)
Strictly no forms of bowing allowed haha.

Looking forward to your contributions.

advertisement

Back