advertisement

A new champion in the fight against cancel culture

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7vqxv/vladimir-putin-is-worried-about-cancel-culture

“The fight against racism is a necessary and noble cause, but in the modern ‘cancel culture’ it turns into reverse discrimination, reverse racism,” Putin said at the Valdai Discussion Club in Sochi, a Moscow-based think tank he’s closely linked to and speaks at annually about Russia’s place in the world.

“We see with bemusement the process unfolding in countries that have grown accustomed to viewing themselves as flagships of progress,” he said, according to a translation on the state-controlled media company Russia Today. “The proponents of so-called social progress believe they are bringing a new consciousness to humanity…but the recipes they come up with are nothing new.”

With Putin on-side, how can Piers Morgan lose?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7vqxv/vladimir-putin-is-worried-about-cancel-culture

“The fight against racism is a necessary and noble cause, but in the modern ‘cancel culture’ it turns into reverse discrimination, reverse racism,” Putin said at the Valdai Discussion Club in Sochi, a Moscow-based think tank he’s closely linked to and speaks at annually about Russia’s place in the world.

“We see with bemusement the process unfolding in countries that have grown accustomed to viewing themselves as flagships of progress,” he said, according to a translation on the state-controlled media company Russia Today. “The proponents of so-called social progress believe they are bringing a new consciousness to humanity…but the recipes they come up with are nothing new.”

With Putin on-side, how can Piers Morgan lose?

Along with Farage and the Tory party, just like old times.

Why does the term cancel culture exist? I had to look it up to remind myself what it refers to and the words just don't associate with what it is supposed to mean. Up to now, stuff like appointments and processes get cancelled, not people.

I had to look it up to remind myself what it refers to and the words just don't associate with what it is supposed to mean.

It’s just a term used by racists, the far-right etc to whinge when people who own online platforms or public venues don’t want them spouting vile shit on their property. It should never be given any credibility.

There’s a sort of link in that certain people who had been invited to speak at say a university had their engagement cancelled because of objections from students. Thus ‘cancel culture’.

It’s just a term used by racists, the far-right etc to whinge when people who own online platforms or public venues don’t want them spouting vile shit on their property. It should never be given any credibility.
And its use by someone who locks up or kills anyone who is too vocal in their criticism of him just puts the tin lid on the biscuit.

He’s also spoken out against trans rights activists. It’s all very confusing for Britain’s liberal columnists, given that they split their time pretty evenly between wringing their hands about Russia and wagging their finger at young people for being mean to transphobic novelists and professors.

Yup, same here.
In the travel industry it is a hot subject referring to on line travel agents wanting properties to offer free cancellation across the board, which makes them look more attractive . Then the hotels wanting commitment from guests to actually stay rather than cancel at whim, which seriously upsets hotels finances.

The definition as I just looked up sounds like a soft version of the film "Eraser".

For clarity: I was just defining the term, I haven’t read the linked Vice article.

Which to be fair does point out the inherent hypocrisy in Putin complaining about limiting free speech when he's quite willing to lock people up or have them killed for what they say ...

There’s a sort of link in that certain people who had been invited to speak at say a university had their engagement cancelled because of objections from students. Thus ‘cancel culture’.

.. and of course big corporations and publishing houses who cancel lucrative contracts because they don't want their brands tarnished by association with political nutjobs, that hits 'em really hard :D

There's a genuine discussion to be had around gender rights and how the trans community would like them to trump the rights of biological women.

The problem is that gender was synonymous with biological sex until a relatively short while ago in terms of legislation, and while great strides have been made to update the protection for gender much of it has come at the of the rights of biological women.

This could be fixed by just replacing gender with sex in a lot of the legislation, ie women's sport.

It's much like the right to bear arms wasn't written with consideration for automatic weapons.

advertisement

Back