advertisement

A microscope thread

I always wonder what happened to all the scientific kit at my school, which was absorbed into a larger institution. Also all the kit in the National Coal Board labs etc.
I have a cheap plastic magnifier which is remarkably useful for what it is.
I don't really have the time to play with microscopes, but I've always wanted a nice traditional Barograph, like we had at the labs. Wood case, brass mechanism etc.

It would indeed, I happen to have just the thing, for a donation to any cancer nurse charity you are welcome to pick it up, if you provide an email I'll send you a picture.
I would love to do that Ian, and the Cancer nurse charity is something that would be close to my heart - but suspect arranging shipping (at my cost) through the Royal Mail to N.Ireland might be a little too much of an ask ?

If it's unworkable, absolutely no problem at all - I really appreciate the offer either way, thank you.

Alan

Bausch & Lomb stereo that I got for $20 at a rummage sale. Very handy for many things.

53141617626_533af3e6de_k.jpg

I would love to do that Ian, and the Cancer nurse charity is something that would be close to my heart - but suspect arranging shipping (at my cost) through the Royal Mail to N.Ireland might be a little too much of an ask ?

If it's unworkable, absolutely no problem at all - I really appreciate the offer either way, thank you.

Alan

Hi Alan, I guess it wouldn't be impossible, however I expect you could find something suitable closer to home for the cost of carriage.
But let me know if you ever find yourself at Stansted Airport sans luggage. Regards

^ Would you believe one of the offspring lives in London, comes back home through Stansted now and again Ian :)

Would you consider earmarking that one with my name, with a view to us being able to sort something re. collection next time he's coming through ?

^ Would you believe one of the offspring lives in London, comes back home through Stansted now and again Ian :)

Would you consider earmarking that one with my name, with a view to us being able to sort something re. collection next time he's coming through ?
No problem, I'll find a suitable box and package it up. I'll advise once I've sorted that. Regards

That's brilliant Ian - thank you very very much. I'll drop you a PM with my email and we can liaise from there.

Much appreciated, and a really decent gesture.
Alan

Great thread. Is there any consensus on best magnification factor for stylus tip inspection? Been looking at some of the smaller Olympus ones and they seem to have around 40x as a maximum option

A typical lab/education microscope has three or four objectives. In the case of my Olympus K that’s 4, 10, 40 and 100. That is just the objectives. The standard eyepiece is a 10x, so in reality that gives a magnification of 40, 100, 400 and 1000. The first two are plenty for stylus inspection. Other eyepieces are available too, e.g. 15x, 20x etc. The magnification is always eyepiece x objective.

PS These are obviously accurate magnification figures too, not some crappy made-up figure printed on the side of a cheap Chinese USB microscope that bears no resemblance to reality. I was shocked by just how good these vintage microscopes are as I’d been trying to look at styluses with cheap low-resolution USB crap previously. It is a whole different world.

For anyone interested I have a load of stereo microscopes which can be had for a donation to any Cancer Nurse Charity of your choice.
I will endeavour to post some pics and info asap, they require a fettle are sans case but very serviceable for almost nothing. They will require collection from CB11 or CM22 hot drink can be provided.

What a guy! 👊 😎

I salute your attitude, Sir!

A shame I'm not in the UK, but I imagine these are well gone...

What a forum!

advertisement

Back