advertisement

A huge selection of old and new gear in a shop in London

Interesting video. Quite an emporium but mostly a trip down memory lane. However, I didn't spot ANY real high end stuff, old or new.

Interesting video. Quite an emporium but mostly a trip down memory lane. However, I didn't spot ANY real high end stuff, old or new.
I'm not sure high-end is really their market. They're a shop where regular peeps who are interested in buying good quality vintage hi-fi can audition properly serviced gear - you could say they're an alternative to buying brand new mid-fi from Richer Sounds.

My first thought was that they know how to charge as well. They bought a Marantz PM 4 from me back when they changed hands for £300 and they probably sold it for 2 or 2.5 times that. I have been there too, I remember admiring Sony Esprit gear. I don't doubt they're decent people tho and have to make a profit etc.

Wish tha here was a shop up north like this, f’t coal powered Dibna valve tech n such
There is one in Middlesbrough! In Linthorpe Road bottom end near Railway Station opposite now closed M&S. They converted an old pub previously called The Shakespeare now named Hi fi Vintage Ltd TS11RD.
www.Hifi vintage.co.uk ….

The Leben amps are a bit tasty, surely these are 'high end' along with the big Klipsch & Tannoy speakers ?

The Leben amps are a bit tasty, surely these are 'high end' along with the big Klipsch & Tannoy speakers ?
High tasty, maybe (though I've not had those Accuphase, Leben, etc. amps. To me, the NA 552 I had was medium high; now that it's >25K, it prob. scrapes into high end. Funny, but in the sixties/seventies, there was no 'end' in sight; it was simply hifi at various cost levels, but nothing like the £soteric situation we have now.

A friend has Klipsch (old Jubilees?) and loves them, as do others. Not quite my fancy in sonic presentation though.

They have been going since forever. Ben is a good friend of mine. Incredible shop but take a large wallet
:)

I've been there. As said they're not the cheapest given the age of some of the kit. For example they advertise on their website that a Musical Fidelity P150 power amp would sell for £500. That's more or very close to what they retailed for back in the 80's.

My only interaction with them was a very friendly and helpful one though I have to say. I wasn't looking to buy anything yet they were willing to let me take an old amp that had been in the loft for 15 years and have a listen to it against some other amps from the manufacturer (not the same amps) because I felt my amp wasn't sounding right (and I was correct). Given they knew I wasn't looking to buy, I thought that was extremely generous of them.

I've known the Audio Gold guys for years and they are top blokes. They've bought a fair amount of stuff off my audiojumble stall over the years! I've still not visited the shop but I really must do.

Another shop I need to visit is Wilton Music Mall, if only to leave drool all over his multiple Gale GT-2101 turntables! https://www.wiltonmusicmall.com/
Anyone planning a trip to Wilton's make sure you check opening times/days first. I've only ever peered through the window.

A small shop but with a lovely mix of gear.

advertisement

Back