advertisement

A headphone system question

A friend and I both have the same basic issue, we have good speaker systems but cannot play them at a decent level in the later evenings.

We have been trying out in our systems the following and both of us are a bit unimpressed by what we have heard so far, all the kit belongs to us so we have plenty of time to try things.

The sources used are, Linn Akurate Renew, Linn Majik DS, Linn Sneaky DS and a Marantz NA7004.

The headphone amps are a Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and an MX-HPA, a Naim Headline Mk1 and NAPSC, Creek and Rega.

The Headphones are Beyer Dynamics DT880's, AKG 701 and 712 and Grado SR80's

The question is this, do we have to move much higher up the headphone level to get something to give a realistic sound and also do we have to move up the headphone amp ladder as well.

I am thinking about the Quad headphone amp, but then I like valves, so am taking a trip to hear one.

Is looking to upgrade what we have basically a waste of money and headphones are never really going to do it against speakers and what we have is as good as it gets or very near. I did hear a pair of Grado RS1's and preferred the AKG's and Beyers as I took them along to try against the Grados.

Cheers

You're a very long way off as good as it gets!

Headphones are very personal and you might just not like listening via them (many don't). For a worthwhile upgrade you need to explore the likes of Audeze LCD2 (or higher, if you've the funds), Focal Elear, Beyer T1, Sennheiser HD800(s) and the likes. These are all a substantial improvement over what you've been using, IMO.

I used the MX HPA with Audeze and they worked well together. I'd concentrate first on finding the right 'phones, as your existing amps are already reasonably good.

Don't forget to try out Stax Electrostatics. They are quite different and many prefer them to any dynamic system

I have a Stax system that I have not been using (SRS 3050II consisting of the SR303Classic cans and the SRM-323 driver) - I have been thinking of selling them but you are welcome to try them if you are anywhere near London.

Lambros

The amplifier makes a huge difference. I have heard better sound from a really good headphone amp driving good headphones i.e £300 to £500 mark, than from £1500 - £3500 headphones being driven from an average headphone amplifier.

Like Simon said Stax are different but wonderful. You will need a new headphone amp (energiser)with them, but they do make valve ones - I have a 25yr-old SRMT1 driving new SL700 earspeakers. Do go and listen before buying though as they don't suit everyone. I don't know whether forum rules allow us to mention dealers by name but one of those in the trade announcements forum has numerous headphone systems on permanent demo.

My Dad has Grado RS80s and very good as they are..................my Grado RS2s beat them in every way apart from cost.
I love the Grado sound as its as close, as I have heard, to listening on speakers. There is a lovely openness to the sound you just don't gets with closed back cans.
However I have not heard Stax units to date.

You either get on with headphone sound or not. More expensive 'phones and amps will give you more detail, better soundscape, more fidelity etc.... but the sound will never ever be like speakers.

Thanks for the input from everyone.

I have called my dealer and he is going to find out what headphones I can get to listen to in the £750 and higher range, so most of those apart from the stax are possible.

I would agree that my headphones are pretty basic so I will also take my Naim Headline up when I go for these demos, that should give me a comparison between not only my headphones but the headphone amp as well.

Any more suggestions for headphones to listen to are welcome.

Cheers

John,

Getting recommendations is of course a good first step, but listening to the contenders is essential. As an example, I really rate the HD800 cans but several people hate them because of a 6 kHz spike that I seem to be oblivious to but others find excruciatingly bright. One fishie's rate is another fishier's hate.

I also agree with Mr. Tricker above that the quality of the can amp is important. I liked my HD800 cans with a lesser amp, but since getting a tubey/MOSFET/Boba Fett amp they've really begun to sing.

Joe

I recommend a listen to the ironically named Mr Speaker Ether.

I listened to many before settling on a pair.

P.S. I'd slightly disagree regards can amp. Yes, you need a decent one, but you don't need to go crazy. Audition is key as I found wildly differently to some others' experiences. I can heartily recommend HiFi Lounge if you can get there. Lovely people, and a terrific Aladdin's cave of options to try.

I own mr speaker ether C closed backs and they are fab, especially if noise leakage is a problems for you. I've owned a number open back headphones including seinnhieser and ultrasone but both meant that I couldn't listen them in the same room as my other half as she would hear my music and turn up the television so then I'd hear the TVs and have to turn up the music...you get the idea! Mrspeakers are so comfortable and the C model certainly doesn't sound closed. A good amp does make a big difference.

You say you like valves. A Leben 300xs is a very good amplifier for headphones. Would it also drive your speakers @ 15w ?

I would buy a s/h pair of HD800 for c£500. One thing IME is to forget high-end Beyer. There is also a lot of synergy at play here. Headphones can sound average with one amp, then in another league with another. If going the HD800 route, which are a good set of HP's representing VFM, IMO. I would opt for the Senn amp or DAC/Amp combo to go with them.

Another thumbs up for Mr Speaker, note he has new model(s)? coming out. So time for bargains or try out the new ones he is currently bringing to market. Mr Speakers Ether are easily driven so you don't need anything with lot of juice. A mate of mine tells me his Macbook drives them to a good enough standard.

The first question that needs answering is 'what disappoints you about your headphone sound?'

As pointed out, the sound is a different way of listening, but I find it can still be enjoyable. What effectively you are doing is getting a direct sound from the headphones whereas with speakers the sound is affected by the room and its contents. Unless you have a well set up listening room you will likely get more detail and balance from headphones.

Another factor which may or may not affect you is that with speakers, your left ear, for example, hears not only sound from your left speaker but also some from your right speaker. With headphones you only hear the left sound in your left ear. Some headphone amps offer a solution for this possible problem (a crossfeed processor) which may or may not work for you. My experience is that a crossfeed processor does nothing to improve my enjoyment of the music.

There is also a headphone amp (the Smyth Realiser) which uses a processor to simulate speakers. I've no idea how effective this is.

Headphones need to both sound good and be comfortable on your head for the whole of a listening session. I've always had success with Sennheisers and now have the HD800. Matching them to an amp is vital. Headphone cables can also make a small but important difference.

I set up a completely separate headphone system based on computer audio: I ripped all my CDs, stored them on a hard drive in a dedicated PC with suitable playback software, added an external DAC and headphone amp. With this method, if you wish, you can add all sorts of processing - EQ, crossfeed etc. I don't do that as I like the sound I get.

Just to update, I have upgraded my headphones and headphone amp.

I now have Sennheiser HD800S's with the Quad PA-1 headphone amp.

Just amazing :)

I've recently added an Oppo HA-1 to my HD800S headphones, really pleased with this combination.

Just to update, I have upgraded my headphones and headphone amp.

I now have Sennheiser HD800S's with the Quad PA-1 headphone amp.

Just amazing :)

That's good news!

What's the issue with listening to your speaker system late at night, if that is not a stupid question?

There are ways of dealing with some of the issues of sound transmission - floor or ceiling insulation, bass traps (beneficial for improved sound anyway but absorb bass energy), reducing the very low bass. Depending on your situation, and finances, these things may be worth considering.

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/

These are knowledgeable people I've dealt with.

Hi,

The issue with playing the HiFi loud at night is that for some reason the sound gets transmitted two floors down to my neighbour.

I do have a dedicated listening room with all the sound proofing and suspended floor, double skinned walls etc, did this years ago and it took a while. I think there must be a screw or nail that is touching an outside wall or joist and causing the transmission and there is not a lot I can do about that.

Also the sound transmission is also dependant on the amps used, amazing but true, also using different speaker and interconnects makes a difference.

I assume the more energy you put into the room the more the transmission of vibration happens and then as it travels down the house walls to the room two floors below then it becomes like a speaker and amplifies the sound.

Interesting that I cannot hear anything one floor below my listening room, such is life.

Cheers

John

advertisement

Back