advertisement

A 'FLAC transport'. Does such a thing exist?

albireo

pfm Member
Right so I'm putting back together a hi-fi setup after a major house move and I've decided I want to improve the digital chain of the set-up. Haven't caught up with the latest developments in the digital hifi/streaming world so I thought I could use some of the wisdom in here!

Briefly, I have all the digital music I've ever owned ripped to FLAC on a portable HDD (suitably backed-up, of course, and yes, the CDs are all in the basement). I have a netbook running foobar2000 and all the FLAC files are nicely organised and browsed via foobar2000 media library. The netbook will send a digital stream to my DAC (a Benchmark DAC usb). I also have an android app (foobar2000 controller) which uses the home wifi to remote-control playback of my media on the netbook. The benchmark DAC is also a preamp (inputs: netbook, TV and also a phono preamp; output: RCA into a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110 active standmounts).

So the netbook-based solution has worked OK for a few years, but it's not ideal: you need to boot Windows 7 (or wake it up from suspend), make sure foobar2000 is running, make sure wifi is on, etc. It is quite rare when the whole thing is 'instant on' and this has bugged me quite a bit. I really miss the immediacy of slapping a CD in the tray and listening to stuff; although if I went back to a CD player, I'd miss the immediacy of having access to all my music at a fingertip (once the whole netbook thing is up&running).

So I'm looking for a dedicated FLAC-playing solution. I guess what I'm asking is: is there a FLAC transport, i.e. a separate, that will give me the CD player experience but starting from my FLAC material instead? Importantly,

1. I won't need a new DAC: I'm quite happy with my Benchmark already. Ideally, this component will allow me to capture digital out and send it to the Benchmark. It's fine if there's a DAC in, but I will need digital out.
2. I don't need the capability to play millions of multiple external streams of music: digital radio, spotify, etc. I have more music that I can listen to in a lifetime and it all sits there, in a physical hard drive, in one room. So ideally no need for multi room, LAN-based devices etc.

What I need is a good interface to browse the media: so either a nice display on the device itself, allowing me to browse by, say, genre, year, artist, album; or (even better) an associated android app which does the same.

Does such a thing exist? Hope I'm not asking too much (or too little). Cheers

Last edited:
Put all the music onto something like an Innuos Zen (mini perhaps) and connect said Zen to your DAC (via USB). You can then have an app for Ipad or phone that will call up anything you want and play it. Simples.

The Allo DigiOne Player ticks all the boxes. Also if you do want to stream TIDAL etc. it’ll support that too. Control via your phone, or connect to your TV via HDMI, and use a wireless keyboard.

It will also provide a lower jitter connection than your current solution.

Thanks both - I am checking the Allo DigitalOne - seems to be worth a try. Yomanze, it seems like the unit can be purchased with a choice of one of 4 operating systems. Which one would you recommend for bit-perfect flac streaming and based on the availability of a decent android-based interface?

Raspberry Pi running Volumio with the USB HDD connected to it.

If your budget is higher then an Auralic Aries Mini

Or even higher a Lumin U1 Mini.

Thanks both - I am checking the Allo DigitalOne - seems to be worth a try. Yomanze, it seems like the unit can be purchased with a choice of one of 4 operating systems. Which one would you recommend for bit-perfect flac streaming and based on the availability of a decent android-based interface?

All operating systems (properly configured) will achieve that, but Volumio and moOde are two popular options.

I got a friend (as I am useless with computers) to install Daphile on an old laptop (headless works too) and I have a portable hard drive with all my music (FLAC) on it. I use Orange Squeeze on my phone to control it, and off I go. Daphile is Linux based, so I took out the Windows 7 hard drive and used a spare drive configured for Daphile only. diyAudio is where all the info lives. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/240040-daphile-audiophile-music-server-player-os.html
It is the loft system, so a cheap USB DAC feeds my valve amp up there.

Thanks awkward - this sounds interesting, but it also sounds like another hack, just like the one I was using. I'm looking more for a 'just works' kind of thing. An instant solution to set up once, forget, and just think about the music. I've been actually toying with the idea of digging up my cd collection again and just going back to CDs and a CD player honestly.

Once set up the Daphile server is simple to use. It has to be, as I know nothing about computers! BTW, downstairs I have an Innuos Zenith II into a Benchmark DAC3 HGC controlled by Orange Squeeze. The phone app will work either system.

Thanks both - it seems the Auralic Aries needs Apple to work natively, while I need an Android-compatible device.

Back to the Allo DigiOne and to Raspberry Pi solutions: does anyone have experience with this kind of micro computer and would be able to advise on how long it takes to boot and reach operating condition?

Last edited:
Thanks both - it seems the Auralic Aries need Apple to work natively, while I need an Android-compatible device.

I chose the Bluesound Node 2i because it works with Android as well as iOS. I'm impressed with the sound and feature set.

One leaves the rPi running so boot time is academic to me. When I started your road I went to WigWams Computer Audio forum and chewed on the posts there. Never asked a singe question. Just took my time and tried to develop an understanding.

I will follow your efforts with interest

S/h Squeezebox Touch?
Has a lovely display on the unit itself (and a remote), or you can use an android app to control it if you prefer.

Oppo 205 functions as a DLNA player. It will play off the network or from attached USB drive. Can be controlled by a variety of DLNA apps on various platforms.

Put all the music onto something like an Innuos Zen (mini perhaps) and connect said Zen to your DAC (via USB). You can then have an app for Ipad or phone that will call up anything you want and play it. Simples.

The new Zen mini has a DAC built in. A small box that does everything.

Keep the DAC, keep the storage.

Raspberry Pi 3B+ streamer, with Digi out HAT from HifiBerry, IQAudio, Allo etc. Several variations as different price points (say, £70-250).

Wireless or wired.

Software from Moode, Volumio, PiCorePlayer etc.

Control from your IOS or Android device

Keep the DAC, keep the storage.

Raspberry Pi 3B+ streamer, with Digi out HAT from HifiBerry, IQAudio, Allo etc. Several variations as different price points (say, £70-250).

Wireless or wired.

Software from Moode, Volumio, PiCorePlayer etc.

Control from your IOS or Android device

Thanks. So basically some variation of the Allo DigiOne recommended above?

advertisement

Back