advertisement

A few of my speakers

Well all the parts are still available and the plans. You could build the 3 way version, even better than what you had. T15's still come up on e bay.

I have 5x spare T15's available if you ever decide to have another go at making them Ronnie, they will be reasonably priced or up for a swap, I managed to find a brand new pair in un-opened boxes a few months ago, a very rare find, and 2x original ITT 4001G's that are put aside for my next speaker project, maybe the Daline or back to my original idea of the T15/4001G in a 3/5a enclosure.
Paul

These are probably most of my speakers, i may have forgotten some. The list was copied from an Excel spread sheet so formatting may be odd.

Spendor BC1 (was bc1a) on gen stands, one white one black bass unit
BC1 from Allan blown bass unit u/s other black
BC1 black bass units
Rogers LS2
Rogers LS7
all pairs unless stated

b'jesus! are you married?

Me? I'd sell the lot and get some passive Harbeth 40.1s

No Rogers LS5/9??

I shall quote Peter, my friend who I bought the Chartwell LS3/5a's from. Peter is a musician. His main system is Quad 405-2/44/FM4, Quad ESL63's, Thorens TD125/SME/ Shure M75ED (yes M75ED!). His second system is Quad 33/303/FM3 Connoisseur BD1/SME/M75ED, Chartwell 15 Ohm LS3/5a.

"Probably the best speakers that I've heard".

Yes they are good, go down pretty low, but one cant have disco levels.

They actually show up the Chartwell LS3/5a's as a bit coloured in the mid and lacking detail, lacking deep bass and not as smooth or extended at the very top end.

Dang. I was always curious about the Daline but never quite "believed" enough to try building a pair. And there was little if any anecdotal evidence at the time.

Did you use them free-standing, or against the rear wall? The flat format seems made for against-the-wall use.

Dang. I was always curious about the Daline but never quite "believed" enough to try building a pair. And there was little if any anecdotal evidence at the time.

Did you use them free-standing, or against the rear wall? The flat format seems made for against-the-wall use.

The Dalines are not quite up against the walls as there is a long radiator there.

They are good, but again I say, not for very high levels. They sound like a big speaker and it sounds so good it's tempting to turn up the volume. There is only so much a 5" unit can do.

I still have a pair of Dalines that I built about 10 years ago, using Focal double-coil bass units and Focal inverted tioxid domes, all bought from Falcon. I had to tinker with the crossover a bit to get the right overall balance of sound, and latterly a few Auricaps improved the top end quite significantly. My brother is a cabinet maker and made up the cabinets with Indian Rosewood veneer, which looks rather classy. These little speakers are very graceful, and rather hard to better, although they do not exactly 'rock'; however my current Avalons have since displaced them. If anyone is interested in taking them off my hands, please drop me a PM.

Here is a rather ropey picture (taken some time ago):

Dscf0619.jpg

I brought these amazing speakers from Shuggie, and truly wonderful they are too, but they are unforgiving of the ancillary gear downstream. These are difficult speakers to drive with their double voice coil Focal Bass/Mid driver and although the Focal tweeter is probably the sweetest sounding HF unit I have ever encountered it is very revealing of poor quality recordings and shows any minor changes made to the system that goes before it. I have reverted the x-over back to spec as I found the Shuggie modified version a little too forward for my set-up using Avondale NCC200's being driven direct from my highly modified Marantz CD80 now they just sing sweet music in my system.

The original Daline design was built using B110/T15/4001G and was in a quite wide shallow enclosure, it was front ported for the 1/4 wavelength line and so needed to be placed against a wall. The Dalines I brought from Shuggie are the later design and use Focal drivers as mentioned, it is a Falcon KIT 044 which through all intense and purpose is identical to the JM Labs 3.1 speaker, it still retains the 1/4 wavelength line in a more modern slim and deeper cabinet, but is rear ported and will not work against a rear wall, they need space around them. If you ever decide to build a pair of Dalines I would reccommend the later Focal based speaker kits, they certainly do offer a very impressive sound quality for the cabinet size, and the HF from the Focal tweeter is sheer heaven when served with a quality signal.
Paul

I brought these amazing speakers from Shuggie, and truly wonderful they are too, but they are unforgiving of the ancillary gear downstream. These are difficult speakers to drive with their double voice coil Focal Bass/Mid driver and although the Focal tweeter is probably the sweetest sounding HF unit I have ever encountered it is very revealing of poor quality recordings and shows any minor changes made to the system that goes before it. I have reverted the x-over back to spec as I found the Shuggie modified version a little too forward for my set-up using Avondale NCC200's being driven direct from my highly modified Marantz CD80 now they just sing sweet music in my system.

The original Daline design was built using B110/T15/4001G and was in a quite wide shallow enclosure, it was front ported for the 1/4 wavelength line and so needed to be placed against a wall. The Dalines I brought from Shuggie are the later design and use Focal drivers as mentioned, it is a Falcon KIT 044 which through all intense and purpose is identical to the JM Labs 3.1 speaker, it still retains the 1/4 wavelength line in a more modern slim and deeper cabinet, but is rear ported and will not work against a rear wall, they need space around them. If you ever decide to build a pair of Dalines I would reccommend the later Focal based speaker kits, they certainly do offer a very impressive sound quality for the cabinet size, and the HF from the Focal tweeter is sheer heaven when served with a quality signal.
Paul

I am fairly sure that the original Daline used a single Elac unit, then came the Daline+B110, two forms, B110+T27 or the super! version, B110 +T15 (or Peerless soft dome) and Coles 4001G.

I am fairly sure that the original Daline used a single Elac unit, then came the Daline+B110, two forms, B110+T27 or the super! version, B110 +T15 (or Peerless soft dome) and Coles 4001G.

Sorry Paul I can only remember back as far as the B110 varieties, so I don't know of the Elac version, was it still a Robert Fris design?

If I could change anything about the Daline's it would be the upper bass energy, it is not as well defined as it could be, the extension is unbelievable for the diminutive size but there appears to be a hole in the response around 90Hz up to about 200Hz, does anyone else here have the Focal 3.1 speakers that can offer their opinion.

It could be me as I am used to the typical LS3/5a bass hump around this frequency region, so maybe I just think I am missing something, the mid is beautifully open and detailed and the imaging is very out of the box and sits in a nice arc from left to right, with height and depth, yes I am very impressed with the overall sheer musicality of these little gems, just need to sort the upper bass issue and then they will be 101%, if there is such a thing :confused:
Paul

Errrr I don't Paul, that takes me to where we are at the moment, this thread ;) I know it's getting late, time for my Horlicks and ZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.

Paul

Got it :) many thanks Paul, something for me to do tomorrow now, Shuggie gave me a bag of Dr Baily's Long Haired Wool, now where did I put those scales !! I'll let you know what changes I observe, now time for bed said Zebidee ;)
Paul

advertisement

Back