advertisement

A dabble in MF…

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hey all, I’ve agreed to buy Andrew’s Mamiya C220 TLR. Once upon a time, in a millenium far, far ago - well, ok, the late 90s to be fair - I had a Bronica ETRSi and then a Minolta Autocord, and then a Mamiya 7-ii, so I’m basically familiar with the MF film system, but that was a long time ago now. So this feels like a good time to pick one up and see where that takes me.

My wife also cut her professional teeth with a Rolleiflex of some description, so she may also have a play, but basically I suspect this will be my toy.

My rough plan is to develop my own B&W film, as I did in the past. We have most of the bits and aside from renewing chemicals and possibly buying a changing bag (as I no longer have a light-tight room) I suspect we have most of what we need.

The bigger challenge is scanning. Whilst we still have an enlarger up in the attic, I’d prefer to scan images somehow, at least so that I have a digital copy.

A question: I have two digital systems that I wonder about using, somehow. One is the Q2, which is 47MP and has an excellent macro and also manual focus capability, but is a 28mm lens. The other is the Fuji X series - XT2 and XH2 - which has relatively poor manual focus but a selection of lenses (I have 13/1.4 up to 90/2, plus a 100-400 zoom, but no macro lens). In the back of my mind, you used to be able to buy an attachment type thing that allowed you to take photographs of slides as a sort of slide duplicator, and perhaps something broadly similar might be available for taking high resolution images of the negative. Those duplicators were for 35mm but hopefully something suitable for 6x6 is available? Anyone know? I’d rather not have to budget for dev & scan packages, as the scanning adds a fair whack to the price, but that is a fall-back option, with a dedicated MF slide scanner being likely stupidly expensive and therefore not worth it for my occasional use.

My plan for the TLR is to slow down, big time. Use slow film, take my time, be in the moment and such; I remember MF being very much a ballad of composition and patience, compared to the wham-bam of 35mm. This appeals to me, and could be a fun extension of my photo hobby. Who knows, might - in time - get that enlarger setup and make prints, but we don’t really have the space for this right now… but never say never, right?

JTC - The Fuji 90mm works ok-ish with extension tubes, but all of your lenses will suffer from field curvature, whereas this usually corrected out with a true macro lens.

For MF I have had decent results with an Epson V600 scanner, and this isn't expensive, when you start factoring in copy stands, negative holders, backlights, etc for using a camera to image the negatives.

I very occasionally shoot MF (got a Yashica 635/500CM & Mamiya 645) the downside being that film has rocketed in price of late, although I still have a stash in the freezer at home.

For scanning it doesn't have to be expensive. I use an LED light board (about 20 quid) and a negative holder - JJC or some such then just a macro lens on whichever tripod-mounted camera I use to photograph the negative. It'll give potentially better results than a flatbed and using zoomed-in live view on the camera you can achieve nigh-on perfect focus.

These were shot on the 'Blad using HP5 at ISO 800, scanned on the light board using a Fuji X-H1 and Samyang 100 Macro.

Steep Hill by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Lincoln Drill Hall by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

I would recommend going for something like an Epson V700 or V600. Combined with VueScan you can achieve excellent results.
This was taken on long expired Kodak Porta with a Bronica S2a:

Still-life-1-of-1.jpg

I use AG photolabs develop and scan service which costs £12.50 for 120 film. The files are transferred on the web a few days after sending the film in. I used to do my own film processing 30 years ago but it is not something I particularly enjoyed. So overall each click of the shutter costs me about £2. I only shoot a handful of MF films per year.

Thanks. To be fair, we have everything we need to do our own D&P of 120 B&W in our attic - trays, tanks, enlarger etc. - but the chemicals would need to be changed and we don't have a light-tight area any more (might have mentioned this above). So sending at least the initial films away makes sense. I suspect the cost aspects might make me much more choosy about what pictures I take, which is sort of the point of the 'slow down photography' mindset. Anyway, it's sitting here, teasing me for now, will likely be next weekend or an evening next week before I get her out for her 'maiden' voyage (in this custodianship, at least :) )

I managed to get hold of a Linhof Technika 23 (equivalent to the Master large format, but for 6x6-6x9). Incredible kit can’t wait to give it some proper use over summer.

I must dig out some medium format B&W film and run that through my Pentax 645 as I hate to think how many years its been since it was last used. For scanning I've had acceptable results using the film scanning attachment with medium format slides and B&W film.

I definitely find that slowing down and taking your time means the hit ratio with medium format (and film in generally really) is better than with digital where there can be a tendency to just blast away.

91551491.FyNPK5KI.p18_p75_f400_bw.jpg

advertisement

Back