advertisement

A Certain Ratio - 1982

The early Factory stuff is superb, especially the first few 12” singles. Certainly hunt down everything up to and including Sextet/Knife Slits Water. Stunning stuff. I tried a few tracks of 1982 and may eventually push the button on it. Musically it is really good, though lyrically weak from the clips I listened to.

They're on at New Century Hall shortly. I haven't been since it reopened so I'm tempted for both the band and venue.

Followed them since All Night Party. New album is brilliant. Off to see them in Huddersfield…

Smokey version here as well, and I do like it a lot. I talk with Martin on Twitter quite a bit and he's very proud of this one.

I first saw them at Portsmouth Poly in 1985 and have been a fan since the early stuff, and I'm seeing them at the Hare and Hounds on the 26th April,

I would describe 1982 as bring the past into the future...

Followed them from day 1 (first heard them on Piccadilly Radio in Manchester) and still love them now, plus seen them loads of times (and I have met them all) - next gig in a few months time in Leeds.
New album is very good - will get it later on vinyl as I have all of their albums including the box set.

Bought a second hand copy of Hannett's transcendent 12" single Flight from Cank Street Records in Leicester circa 1982.

Despite the slight confusion of the A side and B side - Flight was superb.

Brazilia was a lost ACR Factory classic! Even made Leicester feel tropical on a nice day.

Saw ACR live in 1987 with New Order, Happy Monday's and Railway Children in the Finsbury Park Supertent (great night).

ACR are on a roll at the moment

The thing that got me about the live performance is the way they switch instruments mid song without it stopping.

Section 25 next :)

IIRC Always Now was Hannett’s favourite of his productions. It is certainly a great sounding record. Excellent Peter Saville cover design too. One of so many essential Factory albums.

The first ACR album, To Each, is controversial as Hannett (or someone else) apparently screwed the desk settings up doing another session mid-way through the recording and they never got it back to how it sounded previously. It is a great album, but it does sound somewhat gutless compared to the two astonishingly good 12” singles that preceded it (Flight, Do The Du). I’ve always liked it; bleak, industrial, with that whole 1980 monochrome Manchester in the rain sonic aesthetic of the best Hannett productions, but still well funky!

The first ACR album, To Each, is controversial as Hannett (or someone else) apparently screwed the desk settings up doing another session mid-way through the recording and they never got it back to how it sounded previously.
That “damn hippie” was the guilty party according the stories I have heard over the years.
Knife Slits Water is my favourite, in all it’s versions, but Winter Hill is highly rated.

As for Section 25, well there is a wildly underrated band. From The Hilltop is an excellent album and the singles with remixes are all great.

... that whole 1980 monochrome Manchester in the rain sonic aesthetic of the best Hannett productions, but still well funky!

I need some more of that in my collection. Sadly the only ACR I have is this on vinyl from when Creation Rev-ola reissued them in the 90s:

OC5wbmc.jpeg

It's not a bad compilation - one track from each album.

I remember about 4 years ago when I saw them at a small gig in Huddersfield, my mates brother (drummer for the beautiful south) arranged for us to meet the band.
Denise (bless her beautiful soul) was the most friendly and warm person I have ever met - have some great photos somewhere which if I can find I will upload - not the best quality as we were all shit faced apart from Denise.......

One of those bands that should have been bigger than they were but at the same time, this has made them timeless!

advertisement

Back