advertisement

90 day warranty by seller on eBay, help please...

Darmok

pfm Member
Hi Guys,

On January 17th, I bought a very smart looking s/ h mobility scooter, a TGA Breeze S4 Max.
Today is the 90th day, I am told by a scooter engineer this morning that one battery is defective.
The sellers description of the batteries were 12V 75ah X 2 and brand new.
The engineer says they may NOT be new and in fact they are 12V 55ah X2.
The tyres are solid not fitted with inner tubes but very good, I just had to replace
both front tyres at a cost of £90: 00 each, completely worn out after two months!
Will eBay assist me in this matter, should / could I claim a full refund?
Thanks in advance for any useful advice or experience in these matters Guys.

Doubt it. You have used it a good deal for 3 months, enough to wear out the tyres, and batteries don't last for ever. A new 55 Ah lead acid battery, even a 75, won't be expensive, maybe £50? You are on the last day, I'd shrug and let it go.

Hi Guys,

On January 17th, I bought a very smart looking s/ h mobility scooter, a TGA Breeze S4 Max.
Today is the 90th day, I am told by a scooter engineer this morning that one battery is defective.
The sellers description of the batteries were 12V 75ah X 2 and brand new.
The engineer says they may NOT be new and in fact they are 12V 55ah X2.
The tyres are solid not fitted with inner tubes but very good, I just had to replace
both front tyres at a cost of £90: 00 each, completely worn out after two months!
Will eBay assist me in this matter, should / could I claim a full refund?
Thanks in advance for any useful advice or experience in these matters Guys.

If you paid with credit/debit card, you can open a chargeback as a transaction dispute with your bank for item not as described.

If you paid with PayPal you can open an item not as described claim with them.

You have 180 days to do either. (you actually have more but some banks make it a chore after 180 days)

You'll need to provide some evidence to support the claim, photos and a written report from your engineer would do it.

PayPal can be a little more volatile than your bank when dealing with claims but it can be done and be successful.

eBay wont help you directly after 30 days from POS, you can open a return, but the seller is able to deny it after this point whereas before 30 days, they wouldnt be able to.

^Thank You. ^

I have made my first qualms about this being a defective electric motor vehicle, lovely thing when doing what it was designed to do, I have communicate my concerns to the seller on the 14th, 2 days ago via eBays contact setter portal.

Google the above model number and drop word Max and replace with GT, you will find a youtube episode of "Top Gear" with one of these all terrain mobility scooters racing up a mountain against several other all terrain scooters.

<Jeremy Clarkson warning>

He appears almost continually during this ep. :mad:

I'm not sure you can open any case (with a decent chance of settling in your favour) of goods not being as described after 90 days. If the scooter was not as described, you would have opened a case within 24-48 hours of its arrival.

The seller may well have included a 90-day warranty but this is nothing to do with eBay, it's a contractual arrangement between you and the seller.
Tyre wear will not be included, however unreasonable you consider the wear rate to be.
The battery being a different spec is an issue but one you would need to have spotted and raised as a return within 14 days. Ditto its potential non-newness.

If you were to repeat this transaction, you would be well advised to get your scooter engineer to visit as soon as it arrives so you can raise a case within timescales which eBay would feel obliged to honour. I'm afraid in this case, you've simply left it too long for the case to stand any chance.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

My brother in law used to buy and sell motability scooters. The vast majority had knackered batteries usually from lack of use and not being regularly charged.

I bought a car recently and that had a 90 day warranty.

I found faults and had them repaired by the seller after the 90 day warranty period, BUT I had started the process after 30 days, so well within the warranty period, it was just a case of not being able to book it in for the repairs during the 90 days.

I very much doubt on day 90 that the repairs would be accepted.

I have called in a 10 year guarantee after 9 years, on some windows. The previous owner had had them fitted and helpfully left the receipt, guarantee and details. After I'd lived in the house for a year or so the lock packed up on one of the doors because the door was twisted. I rang up for a warranty repair. "No, we won't repair this free of charge under warranty, it's chargeable." OK, I have a 10 year guarantee, we are 9 years in, I require a repair or I'll go to Trading Stds. Off we went to the MD. "First of all I want you to stop threatening my staff." I haven't threatened your staff, or anyone else. "Yes you have, you've threatened them with Trading Stds". That's not a threat, that's a statutory right. How can I threaten somebody with a statutory right? "Well, we won't repair this free of charge, it's *9 YEARS OLD!*" Yes, and it's a 10 year guarantee. When would you like to send someone round?

The next day they sent a chap round, he adjusted the door and it's worked perfectly ever since, some 8 years later. When I say adjusted, he put his foot on one corner and swung on the other end so hard I thought he would surely break something, but it fitted properly afterwards. He explained to me that that design of door was prone to the fault because conservatories get very hot and very cold, and over time this can cause a door to move.

Can't you replace the lead-acid with lithium batteries?
You'd also need a lithium charger.

There are YouTube videos where people replace the lead acid batteries in kids ride-on cars/bikes with lithium and they go much faster.

^ Yes and Yes.

Nice post above.

Useful info: you must use a genuine TGA battery charger as the circuitry is wired out of phase to charge both batteries, not fully understood by me att as I only found about it yesterday from my new scooter techy, he a fine young man, he knows his onions and the products he and his father deal with.

A useful chat with a stranger riding a "Harley Davidson" looking mobility scooter, all show, no go apparently, put me on to my new techy.

Can't you replace the lead-acid with lithium batteries?
You'd also need a lithium charger.
Yes and Yes.

There are YouTube videos where people replace the lead acid batteries in kids ride-on cars/bikes with lithium and they go much faster.. (Fatmarley)

No, you will not be able increase speed on a TGA scooter as it is electronically limited to 6mph on my Max or 8mph on older TGAs.

Go above fixed speed the brakes activate electronically to lower the speed to the fixed speed, you cannot even coast without power supplied, and still brakes apply automatically if power is supplied.

Clever very sensible designs.

Go above fixed speed the brakes activate electronically to lower the speed to the fixed speed, you cannot even coast without power supplied, and still brakes apply automatically if power is supplied.
What, so if you take a mobility scooter to the top of Steep Hill in Lincoln and point it downhill the thing won't wind itself up to terrifying speeds on the way down to the Brayford Pool? Shame. The Hell's Grannies will be disappointed.

What, so if you take a mobility scooter to the top of Steep Hill in Lincoln and point it downhill the thing won't wind itself up to terrifying speeds on the way down to the Brayford Pool? Shame. The Hell's Grannies will be disappointed.
Yes, the only way to move back or forwards on a TGA scooter is having power supplied,
there is an over ride switch to disabled the fixed brake at stand still, very inaccessible and cannot be applied whilst seated on the said TGA by rider. :)

One story I should share here is, a senior dozed off whilst riding his mob scooter and died of his injuries driving it off the end of a seaside pier...

Mine is like driving a very comfortable armchair on main street. ;)

Pavement driving is another matter. :(

Edited: ^^

Result...

Seller is sending me a pair of brand new solid front tyres and 2X 75ah lithium batteries gratis.

Also they have sold me a set of brand new solid rear tyres, in stock but never needed
for another customer @ cost price. :)

Thanks so much for all your I/P on this complex matter, you Guys on pfm keep me sane.

Please all, keep on going what ever you seem is best for seniors like me, cough.

Result...

Seller is sending me a pair of brand new solid front tyres and 2X 75ah lithium batteries gratis.

Also they have sold me a set of brand new solid rear tyres, in stock but never needed
for another customer @ cost price. :)

Thanks so much for all your I/P on this complex matter, you Guys on pfm keep me sane.

Please all, keep on going what ever you seem is best for seniors like me, cough.
Wow, result indeed! You don't get if you don't ask and all that.

Chapeau, sir, as someone on a forum once said... so I looked it up and it appears to be the equivalent of doffing one's cap in humility and admiration. I bet the French don't have a word for chapeau.

advertisement

Back