advertisement

8 speed campagnolo cassette install question

sean99

pfm Member
I came upon a good condition exa-drive 8 speed cassette and I want to install it, but the cogs are all loose and there is no guide as to how to align them for best shifting. There are stamped triangles and circles that I presume are for this purpose. Can any of PFM cyclists let me know how the cogs should be aligned with respect to each other ?

If not I'll assume this Amazon pic is correct.

61M9v8vxOAL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

They only fit one way on the cassette, there should b a big notch, or double space on each ring, line them up. The locking has no such notch.

No idea about Campag, but Shimano is keyed so the various cogs can only align in one place on the hub. By saying that I can see a triangular stamp at 8pm in the pic which looks like an alignment key.

The splines on the freehub are all the same width - Campag only adopted the shimano approach of different width splines in their later groupsets. The hub dates to around 1993.

Thanks - they don't quite align, but they're close. Interestingly the cassette that came off (which was from a bottom end groupset) had letters ABCDEFG stamped on each gear, where it would be hidden by the spacers - presumably for alignment. The old cassette was very plain with almost no ramping, where the new cassette (I think is off a record hub) has all manner of ramping and the shifting is unbelievably better - but no easy alignment cues like the old one. Anyway, much better shifting, so a good result. Thanks for everyone who answered.

advertisement

Back